cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Copy/Move new app behaviour is dangerously different to Finder behaviour

Copy/Move new app behaviour is dangerously different to Finder behaviour

Explorer | Level 4

Hi there,

On Mac, Sierra 10.12.6. Using older fileserver connected via AFP.

A file dragged from my computer to the Dropbox folder in Finder is of course a move.

A file dragged from connected server to Dropbox folder in Finder is of course a copy.

A file dragged from connected server to Dropbox folder via new Dropbox App is a move!

I have just noticed this behaviour and believe it to be a dangerous error. There is no way Dropbox should be removing files from a connected server. The behaviour should be identical to the norm for the operating system.

8 Replies 8

Re: Copy/Move new app behaviour is dangerously different to Finder behaviour

Dropboxer
Hey @Takeapunt, thanks for taking the time to drop us a line here! 

While this resource is relevant to your inquiry, it looks like you’re experiencing that only when using the new Dropbox desktop app

• If that’s okay with you, could you include a step-by-step description of the steps you’re following? 
  • Could you re-create the behavior when dragging & dropping from your Mac/Documents?
I look forward to hearing back from you!

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Explorer | Level 4

Hi Jane,

Thanks for your response. Please re-read my post, as I gave step-by-step descriptions of what is happening.

• Drag from computer to DB folder is correctly a move 
  • Drag from server to DB folder is correctly a copy 
  • Drag from server to DB folder via desktop app is incorrectly a move. 

The app should not behave differently to the OS, and should not delete files from a connected fileserver.

Can you replicate this behaviour?

Dropboxer
Thanks for circling back to me @Takeapunt!

File sharing on your Mac over your network adds an extra layer that’s outside of your control. You may have further investigate how the HFS+ or APFS-formatted hard drive you’ve stored the Dropbox folder on interacts with your server to further determine what could be causing that. 

I hope this points you towards the right direction! 

Jane
dropbox.com/support

Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.

Explorer | Level 4

Thanks Jane,

I know how my hard drive interacts with our server, it works the same as every other server/client in the world – local files are 'moved' to the local Dropbox folder, while remote files are 'copied' to the Dropbox folder.

The Dropbox app should behave the same. Dropbox should not move files from a connected server, it should copy them. Do you not agree?

Explorer | Level 4

To further illustrate how the Dropbox desktop app behaves differently to the OS:

Dragging from a server to the internal drive (where the DB folder is) is a copy (unless the CMD key is held down).

Dragging from a server to the internal drive (where the DB folder is) via the Dropbox app is a move (unless the OPT key is held down).

Therefore, the default behaviour of the Desktop App is different to the default behaviour  of the Desktop. This may not always be noticed by users, and files may be lost.

In every other way the Dropbox Desktop app currently emulates normal Desktop behaviours – Enter to rename, Spacebar to preview, CMD-O to open a file, CMD-up arrow to go up a level in the directory. It's very good in this way. Please make the dragging from a server behaviour aligned too.

Dropboxer
Thanks for keeping in touch with me here  @Takeapunt!

I have a very quick follow-up question for you: 

@Takeapunt wrote:

Dragging from a server to the internal drive (where the DB folder is) via the Dropbox app is a move (unless the OPT key is held down).

By Dropbox app, do you mean the new desktop app or the Dropbox folder in your Finder? I’m cross-checking, since on your initial message you had mentioned that this is happening with the new desktop app, whereas in your previous post you mentioned that this has been happening when working on the Dropbox folder. 

While this configuration isn’t currently supported, maybe someone could offer their insight on alternative/out-of-the-box solutions. For this reason, it would be great to specify this detail. 

Thanks again! 

Jane
dropbox.com/support

Explorer | Level 4

Coming back to this now as I just had another user lose files when they dragged from a server; and I'm only just seeing your question now, sorry.

The answer to your question is 'the desktop app'. The issue is quite simple – the drag behaiviour of your desktop app does not behave the same as the opperating system. It can cause the loss of files. You are not grasping this though, can you please get someone else at Dropbox to review this thread.

Thank you.

New member | Level 2

I too have this problem. Dropbox should provide option of "move" or "copy" files. For those of us using Dropbox as backup, the new desktop app is basically useless, as it takes files off your harddrive.

Maybe the solution is to ditch the destop app if you don't want files to be MOVED. Go back to old Dropbox, i.e. Dropbox.com and COPY files ?

If there is no workaround I'm ditching dropbox. I am looking for backup, not cloud harddrive. 

Polls
Are you starting new work habits this year?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?