cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Copy box does not appear when text highlighted on Android

Copy box does not appear when text highlighted on Android

VWP424
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

When I highlight text in a document on my new Samsung Galaxy S10 the box that would allow me to select copy does not appear.  It appears with other apps and it appears with the Dropbox app on my old iPhone 6.  I tried uninstalling and reinstalling, though I probably already had the latest version of the Dropbox app since the phone is new.  No change.  Help!!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

VWP424
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I got the answer from Margaret at Dropbox Support.  When you highlight the text it doesn't bring up the box above the text that gives you the option to copy the text.  Instead it puts an icon in the upper right corner of the screen that shows a square in front of another square.  If you touch that, it copies the text to the clipboard.  I found that on .xls and .xls documents it brings up the box above the text while on .doc, .docx, and .pdf files it gives you the icon at the top of the screen.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @VWP424, thanks for posting on the Community!

Regarding the issue you’re experiencing, could you clarify if this is when previewing a document via the mobile app, or when opening that doc in its native app (like a Word doc).

Are you instead referring to a Paper document? Any details you can provide would help greatly!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

VWP424
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution
I have documents that I've uploaded to Dropbox from my computer. If I open the Dropbox app and touch the filename in the Docs list it opens the file. I then want to copy a piece of text out of the document to use in another app. For example I might have an account number that I might want to copy into an app that accepts a paste into the account number field. I could do that on my iPhone 6 but on the Samsung it doesn't bring up the copy box. The documents are .doc or .docx files but it looks to me as if Dropbox is just opening them as text files.

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

I just tested it on our Android device, and holding my finger on the screen allows to me select text while the docx file is previewed in the Dropbox app.

If you do the same, what happens on your device?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

VWP424
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I got the answer from Margaret at Dropbox Support.  When you highlight the text it doesn't bring up the box above the text that gives you the option to copy the text.  Instead it puts an icon in the upper right corner of the screen that shows a square in front of another square.  If you touch that, it copies the text to the clipboard.  I found that on .xls and .xls documents it brings up the box above the text while on .doc, .docx, and .pdf files it gives you the icon at the top of the screen.

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Glad to hear you were able to get assistance from the support team, @VWP424!

Enjoy the remainder of your week!

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jay Dropbox Staff
    VWP424 Helpful | Level 5
What do Dropbox user levels mean?