Close
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Copy of dropbox files are read-only

jhol
Explorer | Level 3

I have a PC that has died; fortunately my dropbox folder was located on a separate  SATA drive (D) and not the C. I have added the drive to a cradle and now they are ready to do a file check to ensure they were all in dropbox online as I suspect some folders were not synced previously due to storage limits. ** The new PC 100% synced to dropbox online.

However, this external drive is only letting me access files in the dropbox public folder. All others are inaccessible (essentially read only) and I cant copy the files to the new PC.  I am getting the old “An unexpected error is keeping you from copying the file… Error 0x80070780: The file cannot be accessed by the system.” windows error. 

I have ruled out all other issues by getting the same results on a completely different PC I plugged the drive into, and since the public folder files are accessible I know its something to do with dropbox; I just don't know how to fix it. 

Please help :( 

Cheers.

4 Replies 4

Re: Copy of dropbox files are read-only

Super User II
Super User II

It's actually nothing to do with Dropbox. You're trying to access the files using a different Windows user account which doesn't have access to the files.

You had a Windows user account on your old computer. Any files you create under that user are owned by that user, and only that user has access to them. Now you've built a new computer which uses a different Windows user account (even if it's the same name, it's a different account). You're trying to use that new account to access files that belong to the old account. You can't do that without having the proper permissions to access the files.

Google the Windows error code you received and you'll likely find plenty of topics discussing it.

jhol
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Rich, I appreciate you trying to help. Firstly I did check that error code and looked at several articles re user / account creation, however I ruled that out as the evidence does not back up this theory. 

1. The PC this drive came from was activated in 2009, long before I had a dropbox acct.
  2. I only have (had) 1 x PC and apart from ** some ** images, all documents were created / saved / added to this PC and not, for example, dropbox online. 
  3. The drive \ directory structure was:
    • D:\Documents\Folder 1\...
    • D:\Documents\Folder 2\...
    • D:\Documents\Folder n\...
    • D:\Documents\Dropbox\Public\
    • D:\Documents\Dropbox\...

All files in D:\Dropbox\... (excl public) are read-only. I have cross-referenced timestamps and I have files created seconds apart in say Folder 1 from files in this directory and they are fine. In fact I have NO read-only files anywhere (took 2 hours to check EVERY SINGLE FOLDER - but I did that). I also tested 1 x file in every folder (varying file types, from .xml to .xls to .txt and all image type variants). No issue. 

Thank you again, but I don't believe that's the answer. Cheers. 

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hello @jhol

Sorry to hear you are experiencing this issue. To add to Rich's response I wanted to provide you with an official Microsoft Forum post related to the same issue you are reporting: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-files/error-0x80070780-the-file-cannot-b...

Hope this helps!

Fiona
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

jhol
Explorer | Level 3

It certainly sounds like the same user steps to get to to the same issue, although my PC was Win7 and always Win7. 

I also note there was no solution on that thread. 

I am hoping dropbox will officially say "you are stuffed" or will come back with steps to try. 

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?