cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Copy public link is not working on dropbox.com

Copy public link is not working on dropbox.com

Seneca M.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Hi I've been using that COPY PUBLIC LINK from dropbox.com for years and at first it used to actually copy it to the windows copy buffer as it should.  Over the past couple of months it would pop the address as it should but it stopped being able to automatically copy to the copy buffer, but luckily i could still do it myself manually by manually selecting the text and hitting ctrl-c.  In the latest build of dropbox.com, it doesn't even list the address to the file anymore and obviously it couldn't copy to the buffer beforehands but now i can't do it manually either!  😞

so i can't share any files from dropbox.com right now!  😞  I've tried in both google chrome and firefox and same issue with both.  As for which version of windows i'm running, it's the up to date win10....   Thanks in advance.

-seneca

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution
Mohammed L.1 wrote:

The shortening feature is no longer working.

The shorten link function has been removed from Dropbox. This has been slowly happening for the last couple of years as the feature was removed from various parts of the service. If you would like to continue to shorten any of your links, you will want to look for services that focus specifically on providing that feature, such as bit.ly or goo.gl.

Oscar Y. wrote:

I got this problem today and it is not working now. Do you have any idea about what is going on?

It seems to be working fine here. Try clearing your browser's cache/browsing history and try again, or try another browser.

Copy Public LinkCopy Public Link

View solution in original post

105 Replies 105

Max F.7
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Same problem here, Dropbox Pro user. I need this working ASAP

Giannis F.
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

Same problem here 😞

Please take a look.

Alison K.2
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I can't get any response from the Copy Public Link option or the Share button.  I'm using Windows 10 with latest 1607 anniversary update.

Richard p.34
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I am experiencing the same issue. There seems to be a work around I can use but it is not pulling the information properly either as a shared link. I was thinking they pulled out the ability to properly share this information without having a subscription.

Using this shortcut of course means you have to log in so ignore me on that.

Richard p.34
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

So I know I am posting a lot but there is a work around but it involves a bit more typing. 

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/*******/

from there you select the folders all the way down to the item you want. The *'s represent my dropbox user id you would have yours there. 

So for example without being able to COPY this link I can share it by typing in how to get to it in my drop box.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/77802144/bug1.png

So this image was in my public folder, if I had it in a folder in my public it would look more like this:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/77802144/pics/opgoals.png

I know this is not the feature we like to use but this is a work around until they fix it?

bronney h.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Same here, please fix this asap gosh.  Also for those who have spaces in their file names you can use "%20" as below:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3968343/hello%20world.jpg

Kristina D.1
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Same problem. I logged in from different computers and different browsers. Also tried to go directly into the file folder and copy link with a mouse right click and still does not work. Really need a fix so I can send files that are needed asap.

William B.28
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I've also been using the COPY LINK feature for years as well as the shorten link.  Last week I noticed that the shorten link was not working which was no biggie but now the copy link does not work at all.  Please fix!!!

Vacant V.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I have the same issue as well and it makes Dropbox nearly useless as I can no longer upload my images to the web using the public link.

Does anyone know of any work around until it's fixed, as Photobucket is rubbish?

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Rich Super User II
    Oscar Y. New member | Level 2
    Mohammed L.1 Explorer | Level 3
    Stefanie Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?