cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Copy public link is not working on dropbox.com

Copy public link is not working on dropbox.com

Seneca M.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Hi I've been using that COPY PUBLIC LINK from dropbox.com for years and at first it used to actually copy it to the windows copy buffer as it should.  Over the past couple of months it would pop the address as it should but it stopped being able to automatically copy to the copy buffer, but luckily i could still do it myself manually by manually selecting the text and hitting ctrl-c.  In the latest build of dropbox.com, it doesn't even list the address to the file anymore and obviously it couldn't copy to the buffer beforehands but now i can't do it manually either!  😞

so i can't share any files from dropbox.com right now!  😞  I've tried in both google chrome and firefox and same issue with both.  As for which version of windows i'm running, it's the up to date win10....   Thanks in advance.

-seneca

105 Replies 105

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

As has been stated, the Share button provides the same functionality with just one extra click. It's a perfectly acceptable work-around for now.

If you had a ticket open for this, add a reply stating that it's happening again. For those of your that don't already have a ticket open for this, why don't you?

Stefanie
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi all,

Thanks for notifying us about this. Good news - our engineers already fixed this issue, we just need to push this code fix to our servers. This should happen later today. Could you please try again in a few hours or tomorrow, you should find it working again. If not, please let us know.

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

Thanks for the update, Sofia, and for the effort put in to resolving this!

Mohammed L.1
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Thanks a lot, Sofia, the 'coping public link' issue has already been fixed. But, do you not think that a link to be copied is too far long to be inserted in a 3rd party websites? The shortening feature is no longer working.

Oscar Y.
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi Stefanie,

I got this problem today and it is not working now. Do you have any idea about what is going on?
thank you

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution
Mohammed L.1 wrote:

The shortening feature is no longer working.

The shorten link function has been removed from Dropbox. This has been slowly happening for the last couple of years as the feature was removed from various parts of the service. If you would like to continue to shorten any of your links, you will want to look for services that focus specifically on providing that feature, such as bit.ly or goo.gl.

Oscar Y. wrote:

I got this problem today and it is not working now. Do you have any idea about what is going on?

It seems to be working fine here. Try clearing your browser's cache/browsing history and try again, or try another browser.

Copy Public LinkCopy Public Link

Need more support?