cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about how Alex on the Community team used Dropbox in college here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Copying a DB Folder

rnbwpnt
Helpful | Level 6

I just dumped about 450 gig into my DB folder. I'm trying to mirror it to three machines, all in the same physical network.

Apparently LAN sync will only sync stuff across the LAN that also exists in the cloud, which means that syncing everything across all three machines will take as long as a full upload takes, which is probably going to be about three weeks.

What would happen if I copied the files across myself and dropped them into position? Would I wind up with a horrible corrupt mess of duplicates and triple the uploads? Or would it work AND speed this up?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Copying a DB Folder

rnbwpnt
Helpful | Level 6

I wouldn't have multiple "working" copies across three machines; instead I'd have a single "working" copy on one machine, shared to the others by SMB. That would mean I'd have a single set of changes to integrate in once the huge upload is complete. It would be relatively slow for a couple weeks, but it would work.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

pkgan
New member | Level 2

Hello

yes if you copy them and also install dropbox in three machines, that is going to be duplicate, if you need future files to be synced, better not copy them and install dropbox and wait for it... yeah 450 gig is too big to be processed but also it depends on your network, try all he tricks to speed up your network ( i hope it is office network) leave the machines on and let them sync.

it is painful yeah,,, but hope this helps

Doesnt matter if it isnt same network or not, if you install dropbox clients in all pc's it is gonna sync if you have right settings and folders specified.

Praveen

rnbwpnt
Helpful | Level 6

sadly, this is at my home, and upload speed is only about 300k/sec and i can't change that. my quick calculations on this put upload time at about two and a half weeks, if i do it non-stop. the full upload time isn't a huge deal; it's the inability to use the files on the secondary machines in the meantime that is.

the space itself isn't an issue; i have gobs of space around and it's all networkable. i'm guessing at this point the best option is to keep a separate "live" copy on my networked storage server, use that as my day to day working copy, and then when the full upload is complete, move the changes into the sync folder. those changes might only be a couple gig at most, which would upload in a few hours.

Mark
Super User II

If space isnt an issue what I'd suggest is ....

1. Set one machine off to upload as quickly as it can direct to the cloud and use this machine, if you can, as the one you work out of mostly for changes and updates etc. 
  2. Dont install Dropbox on the other devices until everything has uploaded from machine 1
  3. If you can then just install Dropbox, let the download start and it should kick on to LAN sync.

You can do what you said about having the folder replicated three times on the other machines.... the issue will come about when you try and replace the folders you've worked out of on to the Dropbox directory thats sync'd - you could lose work...

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

rnbwpnt
Helpful | Level 6

I wouldn't have multiple "working" copies across three machines; instead I'd have a single "working" copy on one machine, shared to the others by SMB. That would mean I'd have a single set of changes to integrate in once the huge upload is complete. It would be relatively slow for a couple weeks, but it would work.

View solution in original post

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?