cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Corrupted Word Documents

Corrupted Word Documents

GillW
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I am at my wit's end!  I didn't realise that DropBox would corrupt files.  I now have several Word documents in a folder that I need for my course work assessment which are no longer Word documents and which won't open.  I'm actually really worried - I trusted DropBox and am actually thinking I shouldn't have...Can anyone tell me what has happened please?

GillW_0-1614205486857.png

Also my tutor is unable to open the PDF files - they open with a padlock and are so tiny he can't read them...he is one of those listed as being able to open them (TM ).

Please help me - I need all this for my assessment and am now seriously worried.

Thank you.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
No worries, @GillW!

Looking forward to hearing back from you.

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

16 Replies 16

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

Dropbox cannot alter files at all - it simply hasnt got the capability or capacity to do so. 

You've not said which files are not opening BUT my guess is the ones starting 6.2 etc.? If you notice the .pdf (or .doc/docx) is missing from the end of the file name, so, the computer doesnt know how to open them. Simply rename them with whatever you used to make them and they should be and they'll almost certainly open.

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

GillW
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

You are a Star, Mark Super User ll - thank you! That worked.

My second query underneath about the PDFs - any input on this, please?

Many thanks indeed.

Gill

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey @GillW, if possible, could you send us a screenshot of the preview with the padlock that you mention?

Did you send the files via a shared link, or as individual shared files?

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

GillW
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution
Hi Lusil

Thanks for your reply.
I can access my PDFs with no problem. I've sent the share link to someone else who can also open it without a problem.

Its my college tutor who is saying that it's a tiny padlocked box which does open, but with a document so small you can't read it! I will email him and ask him to send me a screen shot - he does take a while to respond however.

Note that he is one of the people who has access to my folders and files (TM on the screen shot).

I will revert - thanks so much.

Gill

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Take as much time as you need, @GillW

I'll leave this thread open, so whenever you have more info for us, just give us a nudge. 

Cheers!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

GillW
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution
Thank you! I note you are also asking re the shared link. My daughter can open the doc as a shared link. My tutor is trying to open it directly through his account to mine, as it is a shared folder.

Sounds as if I know what I'm talking about, ha ha!

G:-)

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
It definitely helps, the more info we have, the better! 

Since we're on the topic, could you ask your tutor if they are opening the file from the website or through the desktop app?

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

GillW
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution
Yes I will, Lusil - he's not very good at getting back to us so if I don't hear I'll be seeing him on Wednesday for my lesson and I'll make sure he gives me an answer then! Thank you!

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
No worries, @GillW!

Looking forward to hearing back from you.

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Megan Dropbox Staff
    andrepaixao New member | Level 2
    Lusil Dropbox Staff
    GillW Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?