cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Corruption of Excel Files saved to Dropbox

Corruption of Excel Files saved to Dropbox

3van-wright
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

We have Dropbox for business and collaborate on a number of Excel files using Mac. Only one user at a time is permitted to access the file to avoid sync errors; all computers have installed the latest operating system, MS Office version. 

We regularily encouter Excel files being saved to Dropbox becoming corrupt. Version history is used is used to recover the last stable version often losing work. 

I have been on a number of threads that report the same issue, with no solution. This has been ongoing for a number of years and cannot replicate the specific circumstances in which to create the corruption. This is not an issue with MS Excel as the problem is isolated to Excel files save to Dropbox.

Has anyone got a explaination / solution for this happening? 

12 Replies 12

rmitterer
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi,

I recently had this issue as well. After some investigation, the dropbox excel files were empty and just links to dropbox cloud files. This was happening after a fresh install of Dropbox on a new Mac. The user was confused as she previously had no issues opening the file. The user sent me the file and I couldn't open it. We were just copying the linked Dropbox file and not an actual Excel file. Enabling Smart Sync in Dropbox fixed the issue and we were able to copy and open the files in Excel.

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @rmitterer, thanks for letting us know what did the trick for you and the other user - awesome work!

If you have any questions or feedback for us, just give us a shout. In the meantime, have a lovely day ahead. :grin:

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

zesid
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Corruption, to excel files can affect your productivity, so, if you want to recover corrupt excel files then you can use the manual procedure or can use a tool that can repair Excel files.

Need more support?