cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Corruption of Excel Files saved to Dropbox

Corruption of Excel Files saved to Dropbox

3van-wright
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

We have Dropbox for business and collaborate on a number of Excel files using Mac. Only one user at a time is permitted to access the file to avoid sync errors; all computers have installed the latest operating system, MS Office version. 

We regularily encouter Excel files being saved to Dropbox becoming corrupt. Version history is used is used to recover the last stable version often losing work. 

I have been on a number of threads that report the same issue, with no solution. This has been ongoing for a number of years and cannot replicate the specific circumstances in which to create the corruption. This is not an issue with MS Excel as the problem is isolated to Excel files save to Dropbox.

Has anyone got a explaination / solution for this happening? 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Although we don’t take any action on your Dropbox files that would cause them to be corrupted, have you by any chance tried to download the file in question directly to your computer, and then opening it? 

You can also check to see if there are any incompatible characters included in any file names that may be causing file issues.

Finally, I’d kindly recommend checking this article out for further info which may help in the process.  

If you’re still experiencing some issues with this, could you please provide me with a screenshot (omitting any personal info) of any relevant error that you may be seeing?

Thanks in advance. Let me know how it goes! :grin:

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

12 Replies 12

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Although we don’t take any action on your Dropbox files that would cause them to be corrupted, have you by any chance tried to download the file in question directly to your computer, and then opening it? 

You can also check to see if there are any incompatible characters included in any file names that may be causing file issues.

Finally, I’d kindly recommend checking this article out for further info which may help in the process.  

If you’re still experiencing some issues with this, could you please provide me with a screenshot (omitting any personal info) of any relevant error that you may be seeing?

Thanks in advance. Let me know how it goes! :grin:

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

kemjdm
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I am having this same issue (a year later). I don't understand why the above was marked as a solution, as it doesn't offer a solution.

Moving the file to a local folder once it is corrupted does not work. There are no incompatible characters. In fact, the Excel files are able to be opened at least once. Then, at some later point become corrupted.

A screenshot of the error message is attached.

ExcelErrorScreenshot.jpg

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey there @kemjdm,

Is the file that you're trying to open currently synced "local" or is the file "online only" using smart sync in your Dropbox folder? You can clarify this by checking the sync icon next to the file in your File Explorer window. 

Can you let us know if you're able to open the file correctly if you download the file from the website? Also, are you able to preview the file correctly on the website or do you also see an error there? 

Let me know what you find - Thanks!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

kemjdm
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution
@Daphne wrote:

Hey there @kemjdm,

Is the file that you're trying to open currently synced "local" or is the file "online only" using smart sync in your Dropbox folder? You can clarify this by checking the sync icon next to the file in your File Explorer window. 

It's a synced local file.

Can you let us know if you're able to open the file correctly if you download the file from the website?

No. I get the same error message in Excel after I download it from the website.

Also, are you able to preview the file correctly on the website or do you also see an error there? 

Let me know what you find - Thanks!

I *am* able to preview the file on the website. I can also open it with Microsoft Excel Online via the dropbox website.

That's somewhat of a relief that the files are not completely gone when this happens.

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @kemjdm

Thanks for checking on that for me! 

Can you check if there are any pending updates for your Excel software installed on your computer? Perhaps reinstalling the software might do the trick with resolving this error. 

I hope this helps - Thanks!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

kemjdm
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

My Excel installation is up to date.

@Daphne wrote:

Hey @kemjdm

Thanks for checking on that for me! 

Can you check if there are any pending updates for your Excel software installed on your computer? Perhaps reinstalling the software might do the trick with resolving this error. 

I hope this helps - Thanks!

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @kemjdm,

Since you're able to open this file with Microsoft Excel online but not through the local Excel installation on your computer, it seems like the issue might be related to the software you're using to open the file. 

Can you check the steps in this Microsoft Support page here and let me know if any of the steps help with the issue?

Let me know how it goes - Thanks!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

kemjdm
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I had already tried repairing the file in Excel before posting to this forum. However, I did not know about the Protected View option in the OP on that thread:

1. Open Excel 2010.
2. Click on File > Options.

3. Select Trust Center > Trust center settings.

4. Select Protected view.
5. Uncheck all the options under Protected View > OK.

6. Restart Excel 2010 and try to open Excel documents.

Thank you! That fixed it.

@Daphne wrote:

Hey @kemjdm,

Since you're able to open this file with Microsoft Excel online but not through the local Excel installation on your computer, it seems like the issue might be related to the software you're using to open the file. 

Can you check the steps in this Microsoft Support page here and let me know if any of the steps help with the issue?

Let me know how it goes - Thanks!

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

I'm very happy to hear that solved the issue @kemjdm!

If you ever have any other questions or issues then you know where you can find us. :grin:

Have a great day - Cheers!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

zesid New member | Level 2
    Lusil Dropbox Staff
    rmitterer New member | Level 2
    Daphne Dropbox Staff
    kemjdm Helpful | Level 5
What do Dropbox user levels mean?