cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Could you clarify the difference between Online Only and Local content?

Could you clarify the difference between Online Only and Local content?

laurachop
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi, I'm sure this has been covered, but I feel I need to ask the question myself for added clarity.

I was confused about the difference between online only and local only, but if one could humour me to make sure I've now understood correctly, that would be appreciated.

Local:

This means the files are "stored" locally on the device (macbook in my case) 

They are automatically synced and backed up to the cloud when saved? - Is this correct?

(JUST to confirm, that even though the files are locally stored, they ARE in fact backed up. Silly question, yes, perhaps.)

These folders show the green tick icon.

Online Only:

This means that the files are stored online, in the cloud, yet can be accessed at any point.

They are accessed in the same manner as any usual file access, in my case, from the documents folder in my macbook.

Upon clicking to open the file, dropbox will pull the data from the cloud for a seamless opening experience - is this correct?

These folders show the grey cloud icon.

____

Am I right in thinking that the main reason to use the 'online only' option is to free-up local hard drive space?

And perhaps, to store files that aren't accessed frequently?

Otherwise, there's no harm in keeping them local?

(ie. if my macbook harddrive suddenly failed, the files would still be available via dropbox online and not lost forever due to me storing them 'locally'?)

Apologies for the absolute beginner questions; I'm lacking confidence in online storage after some bad experiences in the past. 

with many thank yous.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

Correct on all counts with one addition; when you open an Online-only file and Dropbox pulls it local, it remains a local file until you again mark it as Online-only.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

Correct on all counts with one addition; when you open an Online-only file and Dropbox pulls it local, it remains a local file until you again mark it as Online-only.

laurachop
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Excellent, thank you!

I had read this elsewhere, now it makes sense.

Have a great day!

Evan M.
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Rich, I have the Pro Version for my company for Dropbox. Even though I checked Online for many folders/files, When i click About My Mac, Go to Storage. It shows a tremendous amount of storage. When i click manage. I shows my the larger files being stored. These files Documents are taking up 832gig of local storage.  Many of these are MXF Files of 10gigs each. is there a reason why they are sitting here locally as well ?

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@Evan M. wrote:

Even though I checked Online for many folders/files, When i click About My Mac, Go to Storage. It shows a tremendous amount of storage. ... is there a reason why they are sitting here locally as well ?

If you've marked them as Online-only, then they're not stored local. Your Mac is just reporting them as such in error. Refer to the following thread (it's a long one) and be sure to read the marked solution.

miniseb
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Does this mean that if I choose online only, I have to work from the Dropbox folder on the laptop and not in my Documents folder?

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for joining the thread here @miniseb!

For your files to sync to your account, you need to work on the file within the Dropbox folder. If you make changes to files outside of the Dropbox folder, these won't be saved to your account.

If you have made a file "Online only" with Smart Sync, to work on the file you'll open it as you would normally (eg. double click) which will sync the file locally so it can be opened and edited.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Daphne Dropbox Staff
    miniseb New member | Level 2
    Rich Super User II
    Evan M. New member | Level 2
    laurachop New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?