cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Couldn't Copy Link Error

Couldn't Copy Link Error

GWS247
Helpful | Level 5

When I right click on a saved jpg in my Dropbox Folder in Windows Explorer and select "Copy Dropbox Link" I get an error message saying" Couldn't Cop Link - You don't have permission to create a link to this content".  I have been doing this successfully everyday for the last 10 months or more.  Why is this now all of a sudden a problem?  

9 Replies 9

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hi @GWS247; welcome to the Community!

It seems like your shared links have been banned. How long have you been getting this message? 

If it's been a while, may I use the email address that's connected to your profile here to reach out in order to investigate further? 

Thanks!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

GWS247
Helpful | Level 5

Yes you may.  I have been getting this error message since last Friday so 4 days now.

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20

Hi @GWS247,

Did you receive the same (or similar) message when you try create link pointing to the same file while using web interface? 🧐 Or you haven't tried yet. Can you share what is going on dropbox.com/home when you try create share link to the same jpg?

Thanks, @GWS247.

GWS247
Helpful | Level 5

When using the web interface is allows me to create and copy the link (by memory I don't think it was allowing me last week).  However when I paste the link to MS Excel file and try to open by clicking on the link I get a MS Excel error saying "Unable to open http://www.dropbox.com/s/................Cannot download the information you requested.

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20

Thanks again @GWS247,

That seems like a bug in Dropbox system at all. Let's hope will be fixed soon. I and some other users (most probably all) experience the same.

About the link, did you replace the ending "?dl=0" to "?dl=1" or "?raw=1" (whatever is more suitable for you)?

Hope this helps to some extent.

GWS247
Helpful | Level 5

Tried all 3 but still no luck opening.  Thanks for the suggestions though.

GWS247
Helpful | Level 5

Do you think deleting my account and then setting up a new account will achieve anything?

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20

If you ask me, did I tried? No, I didn't.

I don't think it will work, becouse of number affected users (not just few) and variety of affected platform. Initially I thought, it's an application bug, but now if I have to bet, looks like fault on central (server) level. Of course can not be sure.

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for the quick response @GWS247; you've got :envelope: 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Need more support?