cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Couldn't start Dropbox error on my Windows device after rebooting my computer. Any ideas?

Couldn't start Dropbox error on my Windows device after rebooting my computer. Any ideas?

Explorer | Level 3

When my computer rebooted I get the following message:

Couldn't start Dropbox

This is usually because of a permission..............

Is there a way to fix this provlem? I have used Dropbox for years without any problem until today

This is the log file

bn.BUILD_KEY: Dropbox
bn.VERSION: 110.4.458
bn.constants.WINDOWS_SHELL_EXT_VERSION: 46
bn.is_frozen: True
machine_id: be06946d-7a5f-43b4-b108-808e1669b708
pid: 17376
cwd: 'C:confused face:\Program Files (x86)\\Dropbox\\Client'
real_path='C:confused face:\Program Files (x86)\\Dropbox\\Client'
mode=0o40777 uid=0 gid=0
parent mode=0o40777 uid=0 gid=0
HOME: None
appdata: 'C:confused face:\Users\\rickh\\AppData\\Local\\Dropbox\\instance1'
real_path='C:confused face:\Users\\rickh\\AppData\\Local\\Dropbox\\instance1'
mode=0o40777 uid=0 gid=0
dropbox_path: 'C:confused face:\Users\\rickh\\Dropbox'
real_path='C:confused face:\Users\\rickh\\Dropbox'
mode=0o40555 uid=0 gid=0
sys_executable: 'C:confused face:\Program Files (x86)\\Dropbox\\Client\\Dropbox.exe'
real_path='C:confused face:\Program Files (x86)\\Dropbox\\Client\\Dropbox.exe'
mode=0o100777 uid=0 gid=0
trace.__file__: 'C:confused face:\Program Files (x86)\\Dropbox\\Client\\110.4.458\\python-packages.zip\\dropbox\\client\\ui\\common\\boot_error.pyc'
real_path='C:confused face:\Program Files (x86)\\Dropbox\\Client\\110.4.458\\python-packages.zip\\dropbox\\client\\ui\\common\\boot_error.pyc'
not found
parent not found
TMP: C:confused face:Users\rickh\AppData\Local\Temp
TEMP: C:confused face:Users\rickh\AppData\Local\Temp
tempdir: 'C:confused face:\Users\\rickh\\AppData\\Local\\Temp'
real_path='C:confused face:\Users\\rickh\\AppData\\Local\\Temp'
mode=0o40777 uid=0 gid=0
Traceback (most recent call last:disappointed face:
File "dropbox\client\main.pyc", line 808, in wrapper
File "dropbox\client\main.pyc", line 6557, in finish_dropbox_boot
File "dropbox\client\main.pyc", line 6037, in _init_components_for_account
File "dropbox\client\main.pyc", line 5987, in create_sync_engine
File "dropbox\sync_engine_boundary\factory.pyc", line 261, in make_sync_engine
File "dropbox\sync_engine\nucleus\classic_client\sync_engine.pyc", line 333, in __init__
File "dropbox\sync_engine\nucleus\classic_client\modern_client\modern_client.pyc", line 165, in __init__
File "dropbox\sync_engine\nucleus\classic_client\modern_client\base.pyc", line 155, in __init__
File "dropbox\sync_engine\nucleus\classic_client\thin_adapter\in_proc.pyc", line 228, in __init__
File "dropbox\sync_engine\nucleus\classic_client\thin_adapter\in_proc.pyc", line 631, in _init_new_engine_locked
File "dropbox\sync_engine\nucleus\thin_client\client.pyc", line 218, in __init__
File "extensions\nucleus\nucleus_python.pyx", line 88, in nucleus_python.NucleusSyncEngine.__cinit__
nucleus_python.SyncEngineError: "Initializing engine |>> Initializing filesystem |>> NtCreateFile syscall: open_unchecked |>> Permission denied"

20 Replies 20

Re: couldn't start dropbox

Dropboxer

Hey there @rhawk, I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble with this!

There was a newer version of the desktop app released recently than the one you have installed at the moment.

Can you just download and run the installer from here, to update the app to the latest version, to see if that does the trick?

Let me know how it goes!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Explorer | Level 3

I reinstalled dropbox and I still get the same error

Dropboxer

In that case, could you try an advanced reinstall @rhawk

Just make sure to install it with admin privileges on your computer upon that process. 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Explorer | Level 3

I tried the advanced reinstall but I still got the same error.

Re: Couldn't start Dropbox error on my Windows device after rebooting my computer. Any ideas?

Dropboxer

In that case, could you see if these steps help improve matters at all @rhawk?

1. Click on the apple icon in the top left hand corner of your screen
  2. Select "System Preferences..."
  3. Then "Security & Privacy"
  4. Select the Privacy tab
  5. Select "Files and Folders"
  6. Under Dropbox ensure all folders are checked
  7. To make changes you will need to click on the lock icon and enter your macOS password.
  8. Now attempt to restart the Dropbox desktop app.

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Re: Couldn't start Dropbox error on my Windows device after rebooting my computer. Any ideas?

Explorer | Level 3

Walter,

I am on a Windows 10 operating system.

Dropboxer

Oh, shoot; I'm sorry I missed that @rhawk

Since you're on Windows, could you disable any antivirus and try to install our desktop app again from this link?

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Super Collaborator | Level 20

Hi @rhawk,

If your issue is still actual, try a simple trick (I assume your Dropbox application isn't running:disappointed face:

1. In your user folder, next to the Dropbox folder, create a temporary folder named (for example) "DropboxTmp".
  2. Move entire Dropbox folder content into the just created folder "DropboxTmp".
  3. Make sure Dropbox folder is empty and wipe it out. So all troublesome attributes attached gonna thrown out.
  4. Create new Dropbox folder on the same place. Not restore or similar, but completely anew, like you are creating non existent folder (as is now)!
  5. Move entire content of DropboxTmp into just created fresh Dropbox folder.
  6. Remove the temporary folder, after make sure it's empty, and try run Dropbox.

What's going on? :thinking face: Does it crash again? If yes, are still the three 5 reside in the "mode" related to the Dropbox folder?

Hope this helps.

Explorer | Level 3

Ok. I created the new DropboxTmp folder. I then went to the Dropbox folder and did a copy and then paste to the DropboxTmp folder.

No problem with this. I then tried to delete the Dropbox folder and a popup said that I did not have administrator permission to delete this folder. I checked to see if I had admin permission and I do.

Polls
Are you starting new work habits this year?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?