cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Couldn't upload" file error message (but the files sometimes does)

Couln't download. Remove incompatible characters from the filename

Dimples
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Recently all of my computer with Dropbox have started showing a sync error "Couln't download. Remove incompatible characters from the filename. e.g. emojis, /\"<>:|?*"

The problem filename isn't shown, the "Go to File" link just takes me to the root directory of my drive, and I obviously can't search for those bad characters.  How do I find this file to solve the sync issue?

Screenshot 2022-05-15 07.34.56.png

164 Replies 164

Allegra248
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

It has started to happen on my iMac. Luckily it still syncs new files but there is a notification on the Dropbox icon that says the old files won't sync....so perhaps this is more of a Dropbox problem as opposed to a Windows/Mac OS problem...

DimitriLL
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

We have been experiencing this same issue as well on our Dropbox Business account. Some of our computers have even gotten stuck in syncing, whether due to this issue or not. I had to delete the Dropbox app from those computers, reinstall and resync, which took over 2 days. That didn't solve the original issue of mis-named files not syncing - that is still present. 

DROPBOX NEEDS TO PROVIDE A SOLUTION TO THIS. 

cathstoneman
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hi, I am also receiving the incompatible characters message.  However, for me, it is on recent files - but none of them have strange characters or spaces (or at least none that I can spot).  They are files created on my Mac but which won't synch onto my PC. 

Since I cannot see where the problem is (no illegal characters) I cannot fix the issue.  And as others have said before me, it is really not feasible in any case to change the names of so many files.  Please help!

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @cathstoneman, do you have an example of a file or folder name that isn't syncing from your Mac to your PC to confirm what characters are being used?

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

cathstoneman
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

For example NA22-CBC-005-ES_merged.pdf

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

This file should sync normally, could you attach a screenshot showing the error message you're getting specifically?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

tekfranz
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
For what it’s worth OneDrive runs into a similar issue, but offers to automatically rename the files in question. It seems like a utility in DropBox to do this would be simple as I just noted that direct downloads from DropBox.com remove all special symbols.

Since these symbols are supported on Mac I am going to try A find and replace to rename from there.

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @Dimples, sorry to hear about this.

Can you please let me know the app's exact status and version as shown in your system tray/menu bar?

Also, could you check your account on our website and see if you have any files containing any incompatible characters

Let me know what you find!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

nomadism
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I have a rather annoying (and consistent) problem with dropbox uploads. It's a constant reminder that I have files that dropbox tells me that

"Couldn't upload. Remove incompatible characters from the filename..."

But as my screenshot show, there are no incompatible characters actually (as far as I can see, unless dropbox counts unicode Korea as "incompatible.")

Moreover, one of the files does not even seem to exist (the final file without the icon), as when I click "Go to file," nothing happens. 

What am I supposed to do here?

For what it's worth, I'm using MacOS Monterey, version 12.3.1

My dropbox app version is v148.4.4519

Due to my own preference, I've disabled "dropbox system extension" but the problem existed even when I had the extension turned on. 

Screen Shot 2022-05-18 at 6.36.27 PM.png

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @nomadism, thanks for the report and sorry to hear you're having issues with this.

Just so you know, I merged your post under this thread as it echoes the OP here. 

Can you please take a look and reply to the questions I asked @Dimples

Thanks a bunch!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Need more support?