cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crashed computer delinked access only old files on Dropbox, not current files

Crashed computer delinked access only old files on Dropbox, not current files

Explorer | Level 3

Hi,

My current files are missing from DropBox, but old ones remain. I have files from March 2020 but not from October 2020. I have checked deleted files and I have none, and I have used dates and events....all show nothing. I last accessed the multiple files October 23rd.

Backdrop

My Mac OS crashed October 24th - OS crash, no hardware failure. I had to do a clean install and rebuild my environment. When I restored the Mac, the Apple software reset the name of my computer to match my Apple ID. However, my pre-crash name was different. When I accessed dropbox.com to access my files, I delinked my "crashed system" and linked my updated system - keep in mind this is the exact same hardware on my same home internet connection. All files from June thru October are missing and are not in the deleted area either. I'm baffled why old files remain, but newer files are gone.  All files were created, accessed, and updated by the same computer.

Where are my June - October files, and how can I recover them?

3 Replies 3

Re: Crashed computer delinked access only old files on Dropbox, not current files

Dropboxer

Hi @FluxPoint, I'm sorry to hear about the situation!

Can you clarify for me, have you recently accessed these files through your Dropbox account online?

Also, from the events page do you see the activity between June and October when editing/uploading these files?

It shows the last 6 months of activity there, so it would be helpful to know whether you see anything reported there, as perhaps the app wasn't syncing these changes.

Let me know - cheers!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Re: Crashed computer delinked access only old files on Dropbox, not current files

Explorer | Level 3

I typically access my files via an MS Office Product by doing a browse via the application to dropbox and to the file, rather than using the Finder to open Dropbox and then clicking on the file.

Events show nothing...no activity, zero for the past year except for this weekend when I was attempting to locate my files. However, there are files in the directory. If there has been no activity how did those remaining files that were modified some months back get into Dropbox and modified if there has been no activity?

When accessing Dropbox, Apple popped up a warning that Dropbox.com has had a data leak and it suggested that I change my password. Related? Coincidence? 

Dropboxer

Do you happen to have a screengrab of that @FluxPoint

If you're looking at the correct account and can't find any sign of the missing files on our website, be it through the deleted files page or the events page, it may be that the files you mentioned didn't make it to our servers and were only there locally on your computer before you reinstalled your computer's OS. 

I hope this helps to some extent. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Polls
Are you starting new work habits this year?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?