cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Creating Links to Internal Section of a Paper

Creating Links to Internal Section of a Paper

rahulr
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

How to create a link in a paper to an internal section or a header in the same paper document?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

RichardDBX
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @rahulr, thanks for posting! Here are a few ways to link to content in your doc:

1. Link to a header from the table of contents. This could be an H1 and H2. To do this, hover your mouse on the left side of the screen so that the table of contents pops out, right click on a header, select "Copy link address" from the dropdown menu and, then paste the URL in a separate tab on your browser.

2. Link to a header from within the doc. You can do this by clicking directly on a header within the doc, then clicking the "Bookmark" icon that appears to the left.

3. Link to a comment. To do this, click on a comment to expand it, click on the timestamp (e.g. "2 hours ago"), then copy the URL from your browser.

Hope this helps! I think these are all the ways to link to content within a Paper doc right now. 🙂 

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

lukeyo
Super User
Go to solution

Hi

Headers are automatically linked to by the little pop over menu - go to the left hand side of the paper doc and mouse over the little stripes there, you will see all your header links.

Luke

rahulr
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Ok Thanks. What about linking to another section (Non-Header) in the same paper?

RichardDBX
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @rahulr, thanks for posting! Here are a few ways to link to content in your doc:

1. Link to a header from the table of contents. This could be an H1 and H2. To do this, hover your mouse on the left side of the screen so that the table of contents pops out, right click on a header, select "Copy link address" from the dropdown menu and, then paste the URL in a separate tab on your browser.

2. Link to a header from within the doc. You can do this by clicking directly on a header within the doc, then clicking the "Bookmark" icon that appears to the left.

3. Link to a comment. To do this, click on a comment to expand it, click on the timestamp (e.g. "2 hours ago"), then copy the URL from your browser.

Hope this helps! I think these are all the ways to link to content within a Paper doc right now. 🙂 

TooMuch P.
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

what exactly do you use the internal linking for?

it's a lot better to have important info on one page

or to just search for them

rahulr
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Thanks. This works great.

royd1000
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hi guys

1. How do I remove a link from a paper file ? it seem you can only add links and not remove them.

2. Can I remove all links from a file at once ?  This is handy when I copy paste another version to a new file but the links are still pointing to the old file.....

Will appreciate a smart  advice .

Thanks
Roy

csalmeida
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

It's great internal links can be added in so easily! The issue for me is that these links will still be pointing to Dropbox Paper once the document is exported to .pdf or .md.

In cases where documents include Indexes and Table of Contents sections that point to headings within the document, all the links will redirect to Paper instead.

Would definetly appreaciate an enhancement for the internal linking feature to support this as exporting documents with links that redirect to Paper are not very helpful. 😄

kevincox
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Note that you can link to a resolved comment. This makes it possible to link to any span of text in a document. Simply open a comment, copy the link, then resolve it. Now your link will highlight the originally selected section.

The only downsides apear to be:

• The comment will be visible after clicking the link (until you reload the document)
  • There is no indication of the "achor range" when editing, so you may accidently change it over time.
Need more support?