cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DB deleting and creating new files instead of overwriting them

DB deleting and creating new files instead of overwriting them

Explorer | Level 3

Over the past few days, I've come across an issue with Dropbox when I need to replace a file but keep the same link and comments. It happens when I save a PDF over an older version/rewrite it, Dropbox is deleting the file and saving a new copy instead. This is a big problem for our team because we usually create a PDF, copy the Dropbox link from the Finder window, and then view the file on Google Chrome. From there we make comments back and forth. If there is a small edit, typically we go in and make the change and resave the file which overwrites and updates the original link. After refreshing on Chrome it shows the updated version but any comments that were on the first version now say "comment from an older version".

Now, when I resave/overwrite a PDF version, it deletes the file and creates a new one. Therefore, when I go back to review all the older comments, the file is gone and I've lost ALL the original and resolved comments!

Another big issue this is causing is when we send a link to a client to review. If we update the file the link is no longer valid and it says the file has been deleted. So then we have to resend a new link which is really unprofessional on our end. We need to have working links that our clients can continue to view even if we make a minor edit after sending. 

Is there a setting I can switch back to so it replaces the file and keeps the original link and comments? I can't have it deleting the file and creating a new one each time. 

I'm using an iMac running macOS Catalina 10.15.17. The PDFs I'm having trouble resaving and keeping the same link are being saved from Adobe InDesign and Illustrator.

3 Replies 3

Re: DB deleting and creating new files instead of overwriting them

Dropboxer

Hello there @kimhudson, thanks for posting!

Just to make sure we're on the same page, can you let me know how you're adding the new version of the file to Dropbox to overwrite the old one?

Are you dragging and dropping the file into the web browser, or are you replacing the file locally through the Dropbox folder?

Looking forward to hearing from you!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Explorer | Level 3

Hi! I am saving them locally through the synced Dropbox folder on my computer, not in the web browser.  

For example- I'm creating a brochure in InDesign. I save the first PDF comp (v1), right-click in finder and chose the "Copy Dropbox Link", once I have that link I share it with my team. Then I go into Dropbox on the website and make comments throughout for my team. Sometimes while I'm making comments I find a small error so I go back to InDesign, make the edit, and replace that PDF in Finder. When I go back and click the link that I've shared with my team, it says the file has been deleted along with all my comments. I have to go back to finder, get a new link, and then reshare and add back all my comments.

The only time I use Dropbox through a web browser is to make comments back and forth with my team. Let me know if that makes sense/helps explain the problem I'm having!

Dropboxer

Hi @kimhudson, overwriting a file in Finder, it should keep the original link. However, it depends on the OS and software you're using to save the file.

If the 'save' is instead deleting the original file and then creating a new one with the same name and all the new changes, then this is why the comments and link is being deleted.

As this doesn't appear to be related to Dropbox, I'd recommend checking with InDesign or Apple to see if there were any recent changes that could explain why the file is being deleted first, instead of the previous behavior.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Polls
Are you starting new work habits this year?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?