cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: DB on MacOS is corrupting my files (now irreversibly)

DB on MacOS is corrupting my files (now irreversibly)

WHardy
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hi,

for a while now I have been having problems with my DB-stored files on my Macbook. I use DB on a Windows (PC) and Macbook Air. Everything's fine on Windows, but the files do not open when I try on Mac. I have MacOS 10.15 (Catalina), running on Macbook Air. DB version is 84.4.170.

The files stored outside DB work fine, so it's DB, not the computer.

The message I'm getting is something along the lines of (I'm translating from Polish): Excel could not open the file ....xlsx due to an incorrect format or file extension. Check if the file has been damaged or if the extension does not match the format.

It used to work fine when I downloaded the file directly from the website and saved it again on my DB (replacing the corrupt version there). I figured if that's what it takes, I can wait for an update and work with this for now.

But yesterday I've spent some time editing a file on my Macbook, and today when I launched my PC it turned out it never synchronised. I checked the Mac, and the file is there, it has yesterday's date, Dropbox is on, but the file is corrupt so I can't open it. It's not visible through the browser version (it has the previous date there). I tried copying the file to another folder on DB and it copied there, synchronised across the devices, but with the previous date (!). Without any of my yesterday changes!

So please tell me how to fix this, and if there's a way to recover my work from yesterday, because frankly speaking I'm starting to reconsider having my files stored at DB.

Kind regards,

WH

15 Replies 15

WHardy
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Dear Fiona,

got it to work (i.e. I can now open all files, though I did lose the one that didn't get synced). Turned out I had to allow for Smart Sync in the Dropbox preferences and for some reason this fixed things.

Found the solution here: https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Files-folders/Corruption-of-Excel-Files-saved-to-Dropbox/td-p/289813...

Posted by another user. You might want to show this to other community managers as well so they can suggest this to other users with my problem.

So the fix required changing something with DB. I'd count it as "Dropbox corrupting my files", or at least as "Dropbox being misleading about what it's showing me in the Dropbox folder and not notifying me that I'm only seeing what's supposed to be there and not the actual file that is stored online" 😕 .

Shouldn't the files be stored locally by default if someone doesn't enable smart sync? Is that what caused the problem?

Anyway. Thanks for your time and best,

Wojciech

Fiona
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey Wojciech, happy to hear it is solved.

Thanks so much for posting your solution and feedback. 

Selective Sync is the Dropbox feature that removes the files from the local Dropbox folder completely. Smart Sync is meant to show you the "ghost" files locally. 

Since Smart Sync extensions were not enabled at all, this feature cannot have affected the files. Without Smart Sync, all files are local. I understand there might have been an issue with Excel and how it saved the version of the file you edited. 

Is the file you had the issue with functional and synced to Dropbox now? :thinking:

Fiona
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

WHardy
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Dear Fiona,

Yes I know what selective sync is and I know what smart sync is supposed to do.

Thing is, that I didn't have smart sync enabled, and I could not open some of the files in DB. Once I enabled it, they started working. And this has been the experience of another user that I have linked to above. So clearly, something doesn't work as intended.

There's no issue with Excel. The issue is with Dropbox. I had problems with other Office files, PDFs, and pretty sure something else, but that's irrelevant. Thing is, that even if it was something that didn't work between Office and Dropbox, I'd still say that Dropbox is the side that should try to fix the issue and not Microsoft (sorry).

AND, the files only did not work on my Macbook. The same files worked on my PC. So something was wrong with the syncing on Macbook. Not with the files per se.

So again - it's a Dropbox issue:

1) It only happened to files on Dropbox.

2) It only happened on one device, so the files themselves were not generally corrupted (i.e. third party app did not damage them) just badly synced to that one device.

3) The thing that fixed it was enabling a Dropbox option.

Another Dropbox user had the same issue and fix.

So please stop saying that Dropbox couldn't have done it and pointing fingers at other apps. Just try to figure out what went wrong.

And no, I have not recovered the one file that didn't sync properly at all, I had to redo the work. Doesn't matter now. I'm just answering to highlight that it's a Dropbox issue.

Best,

Wojciech

Jeff S.79
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

This statement, that "Dropbox cannot corrupt your files," is -provably- untrue. We have had so many Mac-structured files irretrievably damaged by being stored for periods of time on Dropbox's servers, that we have begun off-loading them onto safer storage options.

Some Mac-only files (.pages, .numbers, .keynote) contain resource forks that do not exist within Windows files and are challenging for any non-Apple computers to process and store. When those resource forks are damaged, the files become, essentially, useless and unreadable.

Why do I know this? Because we were using Dropbox as a redundant source of archival backups for a number of years' worth of project files. We eventually had to delete the main files from our hard drives, but retained the Dropbox folders for later access. When we later went to access them, the files were present but showed -zero- kb file sizes, and were irreversably damaged and lost. Luckily for us, we had the same files backed up to 2 other sources - an external Time Machine drive, and Code42's Crashplan cloud servers. Restoring the exact same files from the other 2 sources showed perfectly functioning files - but hundreds of files stored on Dropbox were no longer readable.

We contacted Dropbox about this and they said just what Fiona is saying here: it's not our fault!

Well - I would say proceed with caution on Macs, relying on Dropbox as a sole source of backup/restore archiving.

Stacy G.7
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I found this thread after over 24 hours of me trying to figure out why my Macbook wouldn't open my PDFs, Word documents or even JPGs. I finally found that its ONLY when I use my Dropbox files in my Dropbox folder from the Finder on my Mac. If I go to the web version of Dropbox I can open the files OR if it's stored to the Mac in another folder outside of Dropbox then I can open it. So I have to agree this is some Dropbox issue not the program the file was made or opens in since I cannot open a number of different types of files, including images.

Honestly I still cannot figure out how to get it fixed.

WHardy
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hi!

In my case, it turned out that I have to enable the smart sync (even if I don't want to) or it won't work. So I think that's what worked in my case, maybe it will work in yours to?

Just thought I'd tell you this, before someone from Dropbox tells you it's not their software's fault 😉

Good luck!

WH

Need more support?