cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: DELETING SHARED FOLDER FROM DESKTOP

DELETING SHARED FOLDER FROM DESKTOP

TG6
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hello!

I have a shared dropbox folder from an old job that is taking up lots of space on my computer.  I think I sent the request to delete my access though I am not 100% positive.  But I did delete the drop box app completely from my computer and sign out of that account everywhere online.  I just want to confirm that I will be  safe to delete that files without disturbing the account.  Given that I I am not connected with that account in any way currently nor do I have the dropbox desktop app.

Best,

-TG6 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hi @TG6, if you no longer have access to the Dropbox account, and the Dropbox desktop application is no longer linked to the account in question, then you should be able to delete the folders from your computer.

Even if somehow it was still linked to your account, there is an option to recover files from the site for the other users if they notice files went missing.

If you need any further assistance, please let me know!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20
Go to solution

Hi @TG6,

Would be enough to get in your shared folders, find the particular share, and finally remove it using "Remove from Dropbox" on ellipsis menu associated with the list entry. 😉 That's it.

Hope this helps.

TG6
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Just to confirm I don't  have access to that account anymore so when I click on shared folders it brings me to the shared folders in my personal account online.  Not the shared folder that is on my desktop, that is from another account.

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20
Go to solution

@TG6 wrote:

... so when I click on shared folders it brings me to the shared folders in my personal account online.  Not the shared folder that is on my desktop, that is from another account.

You have to do it on the same account associated to your Desktop! 🙂 Then it's the same folder; just different points of view. On the page, the link points to, are listed all your shared folders. You have to select the one residing on your Desktop. That's your responsibility!

Of course, you can throw out other file/folder shares too considered no more needed, if you want.

PS: By the way... It's never good idea to remove your application while you have turned on your Dropbox Backup!!! Install application back, turn your Backup feature off and then remove the application and eventually the folder, if desirable! Otherwise you can fall in troubles very easy.

TG6
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I do not have access to that account anymore.  I can not sign into that account, I do not have the email or password anywhere to access the account.  I don't have dropbox the app on my computer anymore so I'm pretty sure I'm not syncing, I just want to make sure beyond a shadow of a doubt that deleting this folder from my desktop (Does not have the drop box app downloaded currently and that is not signed into the account)  will NOT effect affect the original account, which I do not have the log in information for.  

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20
Go to solution

@TG6 wrote:

... NOT effect affect the original account, which I do not have the log in information for.  

Yes, it won't affect original account, but you can fall in troubles, cause your folders got move and not on their usual places!

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hi @TG6, if you no longer have access to the Dropbox account, and the Dropbox desktop application is no longer linked to the account in question, then you should be able to delete the folders from your computer.

Even if somehow it was still linked to your account, there is an option to recover files from the site for the other users if they notice files went missing.

If you need any further assistance, please let me know!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?