cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know all about tools for creatives that work seamlessly with Dropbox, like Adobe? Well, check it out right here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DROPBOX DELETED MY DESKTOP! HELP!!!

DROPBOX DELETED MY DESKTOP! HELP!!!

Zach1648
New member | Level 2

I went to free up space on my cloud and ended up deleting my entire desktop by mistake. I can't recover the files and Dropbox rewind doesn't work because they want me to pay for it. HELP!!!! There is not customer service number and I cant create a ticket. CAN SOME ONE PLEASE HELP!!???

8 Replies 8

Re: DROPBOX DELETED MY DESKTOP! HELP!!!

Walter
Dropboxer
Hi @Zach1648, thanks for joining our Community and sorry to hear about this.

Can you please let me know if you've tried restoring those missing files through your deleted files page or the events page

Thanks!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

J-973
Explorer | Level 4

I have the same dilemma .... I have a Dropbox Basic package, I just need to share a few folders easily with colleagues.  I got a message that my DB storage was full, when I checked, I saw my entire PC was stored on there too.  I selected 'Desktop' and deleted it off DP to create more space, but next thing all the folders off my desktop disappeared.  I can see a 'desktop' folder in Finder, however I cannot select and drag it back to my real desktop.  Boggles my mind!!! 

Walter
Dropboxer
Hey @J-973, thanks for joining the discussion here and happy Monday!

To get to the chase, it seems that you enabled the computer backup feature. 

If you'd like to disable it, you can follow the steps outlined here.  

Let me know how you get on!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

J-973
Explorer | Level 4

Good morning Walter!

I've managed to sort out my storage problem on DB.   

I found my 'desktop, documents & downloads' folders in the 'Trash' folder and tried to restore them to my desktop, but 'desktop' wasn't available, so I've saved them to Applications.  I am happy for these folders to be backed up to DB, but I want them restored to their original location on my 'true' desktop.  I cannot find a 'restore' function anywhere .... please advise.

Lori
Dropboxer
Hey @J-973

Have you tried following the steps Walter provided on how to disable the feature?

When doing so, you'll be given two options:

"Keep content in folders on this Mac/PC," then your files and folders will be available in their respective locations.

"Leave content in Dropbox," your files will remain in your account, however, they will no longer appear in their original paths on your computer. You can drag-and-drop those files back at any time.

Let me know how this goes!

Lori
dropbox.com/support

J-973
Explorer | Level 4

Thank you Lori, problem sorted. 🤗

Lori
Dropboxer
Hey @J-973, fantastic!

Don't hesitate to get back to us if anything comes up!

Cheers!

Lori
dropbox.com/support

Zach1648
New member | Level 2

Hi Walter, 

I deleted the Desktop on Dropbox, and then emptied the deleted items folder, and then when I came back to my desktop everything was gone. I bought Rewind, which was anything but useful and a waste of money, and I am afraid everything is gone permanently. Why in bloody hell would Dropbox design this into their software?  I simply wanted to make more room, not delete everything Ive accumulated over the last 8 months. I would definitely look into having this feature removed, especially since your business is predicated on BACKING UP FILES. 

Poll
Do you work or study in the creative industry? If so, which area?
If you use Adobe, don't forget to check out our latest integrations update here.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Zach1648 New member | Level 2
    Lori Dropboxer
    J-973 Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?