cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We love to hear how every person gets the most from Dropbox, and it seems everyone has a slightly different use for it - tell us yours here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Daily updating?

Daily updating?

Eleanor C.2
New member | Level 2

I keep a daily journal. I save it every night, without fail, in the Dropbox folder in my computer. Today, I opened the file to start the 10/5 entry. Partway through, entries were accidentally erased, back to 10/3 (cat walking on keys). No problem, I thought; I'll just sign in to Dropbox and retrieve the erased material. When I got there, I found that the latest saved entry was 9/29. Why was the latest saved entry not 10/4? I was able to solve the immediate problem by closing the open doc from which 10/4 and 10/5 were erased, and hitting "don't save changes." This restored the doc to pre-erasure status. Crisis averted.

But the question still remains: why was the doc on the Dropbox site not up to date??

1 Reply 1

Re: Daily updating?

Rich
Super User II

@Eleanor C.2 wrote:

But the question still remains: why was the doc on the Dropbox site not up to date??

If the Dropbox application isn't running (no Dropbox icon in your system tray (Windows) or menu bar (Mac)), then it can't sync your files. Also, if a file is left open or another application has a lock on it, Dropbox won't be able to sync it.

Check to make sure Dropbox is running. If it's not, launch it. If is it, hover your cursor over the icon and check its status.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?