cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Tell us what you want to see on the Community here!
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data security compromised last night

Highlighted

Data security compromised last night

Explorer | Level 3

Last night created a new data file to share a calendar saved and closed went back shortly afterwards and found the new datafile linked with another named user NW from Oakhampton and it stated that they ownedthe file.

I believe the security was compromised so quickly changed my password and deleted the datafile and dat I had placed withing it.

I believe the file had been taken over and therefore your security breached?

7 Replies 7
Highlighted

Re: Data security compromised last night

Dropboxer

Hi @Graceman, thanks for messaging today!

I'm sorry to hear about this. There a few possibilities for what happened in this instance. Was the file in a shared folder that the user was invited to at the time?

If not, do you have another device connected to the same account, or multiple sessions from unknown locations from when you signed in?

Let me know what you find out!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

I rarely use dropbox its just to transfer large data files that the email system does not take. I did set the file up as shared because I was trying to get Outlook to sync with my iphone.

Thats outloook 2013 on win 10 pc desktop (part of the office suite) . To iphone.  Not the app system.

I did not invite anyone, and that is what spooked me this happened without my intervention. Plus I do not know the person who shared or took control as dropbox stated. NW was owner of the file!!

I do have one shared folder and the person sharing is known to me as its his data file I am working with. In that case I sent the link.

Thanks fo rthe reply

Highlighted

Dropboxer

It sounds like you might have linked your Dropbox account to Outlook. Could you check to see if they're connected from this page?

If so, depending on how you shared the file on Outlook, it could be a member of a team or group, or a person invited to the calendar directly. Is the Outlook email a work-based account, or a personal email account?

Jay

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

Outlook was connected but noshares . Have now disconnected.

It cannot be a member of a team I would have recognised the person  in that case.

Outlook is on Win 10 from the Office 2013 suite and set up email as IMAP using the .ost file system which is default for the 64 bit version of Office.

I have three PC networked the other two were off. One acts as file server and printserver. The other is for external connections via zoom & Teanviewer or Gotomypc.

I was on a single pc just running my personal emails & calendar trying to ge tthe calendar to sync to my iphone. Dropbox only runs on this PC.

Highlighted

Dropboxer

Could you attach a screenshot showing exactly where you see the message that another user owns the file in your Dropbox account, while hiding any personal data? Thanks!

Jay

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

As I managed to delete the folder with the file in it, it does not exist anymore so a screen shot is not possible.

But next to the file name on the right hand side of the screen was a double link like intertwined paper clips and two circles one with my initials and another in red with the initials of NW.

Clicking on the red circle gave the information.

Highlighted

Dropboxer

It sounds like you shared the file or folder via the Dropbox site to that user somehow.

Without any images, however, I wouldn't be able to shed any further light on what you experienced.

Jay

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?