cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Delete Dropbox folder, all files were disappeared.

Delete Dropbox folder, all files were disappeared.

New member | Level 2

Hi. Yesterday, I wanted to share a big file with colleagues, so I installed Dropbox software on my PC. During the installation, I accidently clicked to back up my PC. Afterwards, I decided to uninstall Dropbox, and I deleted the Dropbox file on my PC. Then, I lost all the files on my PC, and I can find half of the files on Dropbox, but still half of the content lost. I guess only half already successfully uploaded to Dropbox. Is it possible to find the lost files?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Delete Dropbox folder, all files were disappeared.

Super Collaborator | Level 20

@Rui Lee wrote:

... During the installation, I accidently clicked to back up my PC. Afterwards, I decided to uninstall Dropbox, and I deleted the Dropbox file on my PC. Then, I lost all the files on my PC, ...

Hi @Rui Lee,

When you use "Dropbox Backup" feature, you have moved all backed up files/folders into Dropbox folder and on the old places are links pointing to the corresponding new locations in Dropbox folder. There are no copies! That's why when you have deleted Dropbox folder, the links setted up do not point anything (or after reinstall - only files which successfully got in sync). If you have deleted the Dropbox folder locally there is still chance is content residing in your trash. Check it!

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Re: Delete Dropbox folder, all files were disappeared.

Super Collaborator | Level 20

@Rui Lee wrote:

... During the installation, I accidently clicked to back up my PC. Afterwards, I decided to uninstall Dropbox, and I deleted the Dropbox file on my PC. Then, I lost all the files on my PC, ...

Hi @Rui Lee,

When you use "Dropbox Backup" feature, you have moved all backed up files/folders into Dropbox folder and on the old places are links pointing to the corresponding new locations in Dropbox folder. There are no copies! That's why when you have deleted Dropbox folder, the links setted up do not point anything (or after reinstall - only files which successfully got in sync). If you have deleted the Dropbox folder locally there is still chance is content residing in your trash. Check it!

View solution in original post

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?