cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Tell us what you want to see on the Community here!
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Delete Dropbox from iMac

Highlighted

Delete Dropbox from iMac

Helpful | Level 5

All photos in my Dropbox are on my iMac. I need to free up space on the hard drive and don't need them stored on my iMac. As long as I can access them through the Dropbox app, that is fine. If I remove them from my iMac, will they be deleted from Dropbox as well? Or am I safe to just remove them from my iMac? The Apple tech helping me indicated this may cause them to be deleted from Dropbox but, of course, he didn't want to say one way or another and said to check with you. Please help. Thank you in advance. 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Delete Dropbox from iMac

Helpful | Level 5

As it turns out, since the photos were in a folder on the iMac and not in the desktop app, the folder can be deleted and my photos are safe and sound in my Dropbox. I can access them through the Dropbox app from both my iPad as well as my Galaxy s10 phone. All is well. Thank you for responding! 

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3
Highlighted

Dropboxer

Hey @TeeAnn, I'd be happy to help. 

You are right, if you remove a file or photo by deleting it from your Dropbox folder or the desktop app, it'll be removed from your computer and your account. 

To save hard drive space, you can selectively sync whole folders from your desktop app's settings. 

That way, you remove content from being stored locally on your computer, but you still have access to it from the website and other connected devices. 

If you're on one of our paid subscriptions, you can also use Smart Sync, which keeps files locally without taking up too much storage.

I hope this helped shed some light, but let me know if you have any other questions. Thanks!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 5

As it turns out, since the photos were in a folder on the iMac and not in the desktop app, the folder can be deleted and my photos are safe and sound in my Dropbox. I can access them through the Dropbox app from both my iPad as well as my Galaxy s10 phone. All is well. Thank you for responding! 

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Dropboxer

Oh, that's great, @TeeAnn! Glad to hear that you were able to sort things out.

If anything else comes up, just give us another nudge. 

In the meantime, I hope you have a wonderful week ahead!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?