cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about how Alex on the Community team used Dropbox in college here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Delete Dropbox

Delete Dropbox

Veronica75
Explorer | Level 4

I do NOT want dropbox to take over my computer. How can I get it off my computer completely?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: deleting Dropbox

Walter
Dropboxer

Thanks for the follow up, Veronica.

When I mentioned the terminal app, I was actually referring to the Activity Monitor utility on your computer which is normally located under Applications > Utilities.

From there, you can see if there are any other processes associated with Dropbox that may be preventing Dropbox from being removed from your device and quit them to prevent the error you get.  

Once you have launched 'Activity Monitor', if you see any items that refer to Dropbox, or recognize any programs that you may have linked to Dropbox. Could you please perform the following steps?

1. Click on the line that references the process to select it
2. Click on the 'X' at the top left corner of the screen. Be careful not to click on the 'X' that closes the window, but the one that will 'Force a process to quit'.

Once you're done with this, you can uninstall the app using these steps

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Re: Delete Dropbox

Rich
Super User II

@Veronica75 wrote:

I do NOT want dropbox to take over my computer. How can I get it off my computer completely?

Refer to the following help articles. If it was enabled, be sure to first disable the computer backup feature.

Veronica75
Explorer | Level 4

I followed those instructions, and this is the message I got when I tried to drag the app to the trash: "The item “Dropbox.app” can’t be moved to the Trash because some of its extensions are in use."  How do I quit the extensions??

Walter
Dropboxer
In that case, you'll need to open your terminal app and quit any processes that reference Dropbox before you can uninstall the app normally @Veronica75.

Let us know how it goes!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

deleting Dropbox

Veronica75
Explorer | Level 4

You said, "In that case, you'll need to open your terminal app and quit any processes that reference Dropbox before you can uninstall the app normally @Veronica75."  What is a terminal app, and how do I find and quit those processes that reference Dropbox?

Re: deleting Dropbox

Walter
Dropboxer

Thanks for the follow up, Veronica.

When I mentioned the terminal app, I was actually referring to the Activity Monitor utility on your computer which is normally located under Applications > Utilities.

From there, you can see if there are any other processes associated with Dropbox that may be preventing Dropbox from being removed from your device and quit them to prevent the error you get.  

Once you have launched 'Activity Monitor', if you see any items that refer to Dropbox, or recognize any programs that you may have linked to Dropbox. Could you please perform the following steps?

1. Click on the line that references the process to select it
2. Click on the 'X' at the top left corner of the screen. Be careful not to click on the 'X' that closes the window, but the one that will 'Force a process to quit'.

Once you're done with this, you can uninstall the app using these steps

Walter
dropbox.com/support

View solution in original post

Poll
Do you work or study in the creative industry? If so, which area?
If you use Adobe, don't forget to check out our latest integrations update here.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?