cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about how Alex on the Community team used Dropbox in college here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Delete Files locally

Delete Files locally

Haych
New member | Level 2

Hi, I have added a device to my dropbox account but on installation selected local instead of online-only. Now it's trying to sync 430GB worth of files onto my laptop. If I sign out of my account on my new device and delete the files saved locally, then uninstall dropbox from my device. Will those deleted files remain in my dropbox account online?

4 Replies 4

Re: Delete Files locally

Здравко
Super Collaborator | Level 20

Hi @Haych ,

Yes, the files will remain in your dropbox account online. 😉

kushalbb
New member | Level 2

Hey I unavle to see them both locally as well online.

Haych
New member | Level 2

Hi

Здравко
Super Collaborator | Level 20

@Haych wrote:

Hi

Hi again @Haych,

I should confess, I'm not sure what exactly you ask. If you have deleted something online or offline, it will be replicated everywhere. That's the meaning of the word "sync", are you agree... 🙂

Despite, I suspect you have something else in mind. If I'm right, you want to sync just some of the folders, not all. In this context do you have uninstalled you application completely? You can't rely that the regular uninstaller have removed all your application settings, including current sync state. To be sure, do an advanced reinstall, just to be sure (without surprises). Before link the installed application to your account, remove the old Dropbox folder, if you haven't yet. 😉 This removal won't affect anything more since out of sync. On the latest steps of reinstall (step 7 actually), you can select what exactly you want to get in sync. Do it - make sure selected are only folders you want appear locally! That's it.

Hope this helps.

@kushalbb,

It's not clear what you expect to see? 🧐 As I already have said (above), meaning of sync is keep everything the same. 🙄 If something is missing in one place, it's normal to be missing everywhere else, if not explicitly excluded somewhere. 🤷

Poll
Do you work or study in the creative industry? If so, which area?
If you use Adobe, don't forget to check out our latest integrations update here.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?