cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn more about how Connie, a member of the Community, uses Dropbox here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Delete a file only from dropbox - not my hard drive

Delete a file only from dropbox - not my hard drive

janine t
New member | Level 2

I am  finding  that dropbox is not very user friendly - I only have the basic setup as occasionally I have to send files to friends.

As my dropbox seems to be full I want to delete some files to save space but it keep saying it will delete the file from my hard drive (so I cancel as I don't want to lose my original file)  

I never set up syncing or backups so why is it doing this? 

Surely there should be an option for only deleting from dropbox?

and if I am somehow syncing how do I turn it off? or does that message come up no matter what?

So if I go ahead with my delete will it delete my original?

1 Reply 1

Re: Delete a file only from dropbox - not my hard drive

Mark
Super User II

Hi @janine t 

Its doing this because that is what Dropbox is designed, intended and supposed to do. Dropbox is a syncing tool, so, whatever you do inside of the Dropbox folder replicates online and to all connected devices. So, if you delete something at Dropbox online it deletes also on the computer. However, it will ONLY delete in the Dropbox folder on your computer - nowhere else. 

So, a work around to this is simply move it out of the Dropbox folder on your computer to another place. That will delete from Dropbox but leave it on your computer 🙂

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Poll
Are you starting new work habits this year?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?