cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about apps and Dropbox integrations to make working from home easy here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Delete files from my phone and watch it dissapear from my computer desktop

Delete files from my phone and watch it dissapear from my computer desktop

friej
Explorer | Level 4

When I delete a file on drop box from my phone, i watch it also go away on my computer desktop.   I only want to delete a file from the drop box and not from the source computer. What's up? 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Здравко
Super Collaborator | Level 20

@friej wrote:

How do I change that?

How do you change what? 🤔

Let's recall the primary Dropbox service feature is sync! 🤷 What actually are you using Dropbox for, if not for sync? 🧐 If you don't want to sync anything, just reconsider this service usage.

Another recall: Dropbox application syncs only files/folders residing into Dropbox folder. If you have put there something by mistake and want to keep it on your computer but not within Dropbox (and other linked devices), just move the particular file/folder outside Dropbox folder on your computer. 😉 That's it.

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Здравко

@friej wrote:

... What's up? 

🤔 Sync is up. 😉 Including deletion!

friej
Explorer | Level 4

How do I change that?

Здравко

@friej wrote:

How do I change that?

How do you change what? 🤔

Let's recall the primary Dropbox service feature is sync! 🤷 What actually are you using Dropbox for, if not for sync? 🧐 If you don't want to sync anything, just reconsider this service usage.

Another recall: Dropbox application syncs only files/folders residing into Dropbox folder. If you have put there something by mistake and want to keep it on your computer but not within Dropbox (and other linked devices), just move the particular file/folder outside Dropbox folder on your computer. 😉 That's it.

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

friej
Explorer | Level 4

Perfect!  Sorry to sound like such a dummy. I've heard a lot about drop box and the info was kinda scattered when I decided to try it out. Upon installation it started downloading my entire desktop then I immediately started getting a message that it was full. That is totally not what I wanted to do. When I deleted a file in Drop Box I watched it also disappear from my desktop. Also not what I had in mind.  That didn't give me the warm and fuzzies. 

Anyhow thanks so much for your help. Very much appreciated. 

John

Здравко

@friej wrote:

... Upon installation it started downloading my entire desktop then I immediately started getting a message that it was full. That is totally not what I wanted to do. ...

Aaah... Here is coming something else. 🙂 Probably unintentionally you have activated Dropbox Backup (actually moved some or all of your user folders into Dropbox folder). Did you do this? For more thoughts in this direction, take a look here. 😉

Hope this sheds additional light.

friej
Explorer | Level 4

funny you would say that.  I was on the phone with Apple support for a coupe of hours. None of my files were showing up in Bridge. The outcome was Dropbox.  Apparently it had downloaded all of my files and nothing was showing up.  I was in a panic. I think it's time for Drop Box to become a memory.  Since I've installed it I've had nothing but issues. Thanks so much for your help.  

Poll
How do you get refocussed while working from home? Do you find any of these options keep you from getting distracted?
Need more support?