cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Delete files on all devices and the cloud

Explorer | Level 3

Hello,

is there a way to delete files from all devices and The web from one device? My ideal workflow Would be to pick up any device connected to my account (Android phone, apple iPad, Windows computer) and start deleting photos. Then I would like those fhotos to be deleted from all devices and Dropbox online as well. Currently it doesn't seems to work this way. The only way I managed to delete files from all devices is if I login in the website and I do it front there.

Is there a setting or something I need to turn On to achieve the bahavior I'm looking for?

4 Replies 4
Highlighted

Re: Delete files on all devices and the cloud

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hi there @Puch, thanks for reaching out here!

When you delete any files within any of the Dropbox apps (mobile/desktop) or the website, it's expected that the changes should sync with all your connected devices.

So that I can have a better understanding here, can you let me know where you were deleting the photos from when you tried this? Were they deleted from within the Dropbox app?

Also, do you still see the files you tried deleting on the website?

Let me know what you find and we'll go from there - thanks!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

Hello Daphne,

Thank you for the quick reply. I just did a simple test.

• From iPad1 I took a picture and uploaded it to Dropbox through the App
  • On iPad2 I opened the DropBox Appand verified that the image was there
  • From iPad2 I deleted the photo trhough the App
  • On iPad1 I closed the DropBox app and opened it again with the hope it would pick up the fact that the picture was deleted. The picture WAS STILL THERE!
  • On my compuer I opened Dropbox.com through a web browser
  • I deleted the image.
  • On iPad1 I closed the DropBox app and opened it again with the hope it would pick up the fact that the pictue was deleted. This time the picture was gone.
Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

That's strange indeed @Puch

Does this seem to only happen when you delete items from iPad 2? If you delete an item from iPad 1, do you still see the file within the account online?

Can you let me know which version of the mobile app you have installed on the iPad and their OS versions?

Also, can you possibly try using another WiFi network and even cellular data if possible (via hotspot from a phone) to see if any deletions reflect on the website?

Finally, when you delete the file on iPad 2, do you no longer see it within the Dropbox app on this device?

Keep me posted - cheers!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

Hello Daphne,

your questions prompted me to do some more investigation and after furter analisys it seems that older devices running iOS 9 are those that display the problem. The DropBox App on those stopped at v 96.2.4 and probably that version display the deletion problem. You guys may want to consider to backport whatever fix you did to address the problem in later versions.

For now I'm set. I'm just going to use a device running a newer version of iOS to delete pictures.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?