Close
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Delete folder instruction not working for me - help me please

Jaydx
Explorer | Level 3

Hello,  I am having a long overdue clearout, and need to delete whole folders, not single files. I am remembering to pause sync first. Selective sync wouldn't be helpful. I don't want those folders in my account.

There doesn't seem to be a way to completely delete a folder from my account so that it's completely gone. The instructions given for doing that aren't working for me.  The Dropbox web portal, when I click on a folder, and attempt to follow the instructions given to delete it, will only open and show me individual files. From there I can delete every file one by one, (which would be laborious) but still cannot delete even the empty folder.

Thanks

I have tried renaming the entire Dropbox folder that Dropbox was syncing, and even moving it to a different location. But of course, unless the folders are deleted from the cloud, all of them will be synced to the new Dropbox folder I create.

How do I stop this?

I only have one device which has a physical Dropbox folder, a Windows laptop. Dropbox is not syncing data from other devices.

6 Replies 6

Re: Delete folder instruction not working for me - help me please

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hi there @Jaydx, welcome to the Dropbox Community!

If you're trying to delete the folders from the website, you'll have to click on the ellipsis (...) button that's on the right-hand side of each folder, and the option to delete should be listed in the drop-down menu. Drop down menu website.pngIf you're trying to delete the folders from the Dropbox folder on your computer, you can simply remove them as you would with any other folder on your device. 

Let me know how it goes!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Jaydx
Explorer | Level 3
Hi Lusil, thank you but you haven't understood my post. The instructions you have given are the same instructions given on the Dropbox website, and I have described that following these instructions does not allow me to delete a folder. I suggest you follow these instructions on your own computer, and see if you can delete a folder, then tell me if this worked for you.
Following these instructions allows me only to open the folder, and delete the files one by one. This is laborious when there are Gb of unwanted folders to be deleted, and even if I do this, I am unable to delete the empty folder.
I need different instructions to delete a whole folder. Can anyone help me please?

Jaydx
Explorer | Level 3
p.s I have also described that deleting folder from computer does not delete it from the cloud and so also does not help.

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thanks for getting back to me, @Jaydx

I tried the steps from my end as well and, when clicking on the button with the three dots (ellipsis), I get the menu bar which gives me the option to delete the folder itself. 

If you're getting a different experience, could you send me a screenshot (without any personal info) of what you see when you click on the ellipsis button?

Also, if the folder doesn't get removed from the website when you delete it from your computer, it could be that the desktop app isn't running or syncing. 

Could you please check if you see the Dropbox icon next to your computer's clock? If you:

• Don't see it - it means that that desktop app isn't running and you'll have to manually relaunch it from your applications menu. 
  • Do see it - could you hover over the Dropbox icon and let me know what it reads?

Let me know what you find!

Lusil

Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Jaydx
Explorer | Level 3

Hello Lusil,

As for deleting entire folder from web portal, I learned how to do  this today. The mistake I was making was clicking on the folder to select it before trying to delete it. Instead I just needed to click on the elipsis next to the folder, without clicking on the folder first.

As for the second part of the difficulty I was having......I still don't know what to do about this. The instructions on the Dropbox website say that the fastest way to delete folders from an account, is to delete them from the Dropbox folder on the computer. However Dropbox would put them straight back in there, whether sync was running or paused. When I turned sync back on, Dropbox would put back the folders I had deleted from my computer, and which I no longer wanted there.

When I explore my Dropbox web portal, I am not seeing any way to stop a folder in the cloud from syncing back to the desktop. How do I do that?

Thank you

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Glad to hear that we were able to get to the bottom of your first concern, @Jaydx

As for your second one, often when you delete items, they may not immediately disappear from every synced computer.

You may find that a file reappears in your Dropbox account if you have a synced computer running an application that's using the file, or, if it's content shared with someone else, it may be that a person you shared it with is accessing/restoring it.

Since you're having trouble with folders reappearing, to check if another computer or user is causing this, you'll have to check the files inside it by looking at their previous versions

If you see from the previous versions of the file that it was accessed from an application on another computer, you can delete it from that computer to stop it from reappearing.

I understand that this is a lot to work with, but if you have any trouble along the way, just give me a shout and I'll make sure to get back to you as soon as possible. 

Let me know of any updates!

Lusil

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?