cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Delete personal files on a work computer

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Hello -   I installed DB on a work desktop.  I then signed in with my personal account.  DB synced and now those folders are on the work computer.  I signed out, deleted DB App from desktop.  The folders are still there on the desktop.  IF I delete these off the desktop, I am worried that next time I sign into my personal account (laptop) that all those folders will be gone?  Petrified to delete from the work computer as these are all my photos.  I won't be signing in using my personal again on the desktop.  

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Delete personal files on a work computer

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hey @qpgwen, I’ll do my best to clarify matters below! 

As you mentioned that you’ve unlinked your Dropbox account from your desktop now, then any files that were previously synced locally will remain, but future changes will no longer sync to your account online & laptop. The Dropbox folder you’re seeing on your desktop is just a local folder. 

You can delete/move/re-arrange content on your desktop & your files will remain un-affected on your account online (& laptop). However, if you re-link to the existing folder on your desktop later, then these changes will be reflected on our website and any connected devices.

I hope my post puts your worries to rest & I’m always here if you have any follow-up questions or if I’ve misunderstood anything along the way. Enjoy the rest of your day until we talk again! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7
Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hey @qpgwen, I’ll do my best to clarify matters below! 

As you mentioned that you’ve unlinked your Dropbox account from your desktop now, then any files that were previously synced locally will remain, but future changes will no longer sync to your account online & laptop. The Dropbox folder you’re seeing on your desktop is just a local folder. 

You can delete/move/re-arrange content on your desktop & your files will remain un-affected on your account online (& laptop). However, if you re-link to the existing folder on your desktop later, then these changes will be reflected on our website and any connected devices.

I hope my post puts your worries to rest & I’m always here if you have any follow-up questions or if I’ve misunderstood anything along the way. Enjoy the rest of your day until we talk again! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

View solution in original post

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Awesome - Thank You!

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

New person, but followup question.

So can I delete the local files on my work computer without losing them online. Then if I want to access one of my personal dropbox files at work I can do that through the web site app without downloading the app and therefore adding local files to my work computer.

Bottom line, I don't want any of my Dropbox files on my work computer hard drive, but I do access them occassionally from my work computer.

So can I delete what was put there when I first downloaded the app without losing them on the online app.

Highlighted

Super User II
Super User II

As long as the computer is not linked to your account, you can safely delete the local copy of your files without your online copy being affected. You'll be able to use the Dropbox website to access, upload or download your files.

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

I have a similar, but differrent question on removing a synced device. I accidenty removed a synced device before removing the files I wanted to remove. Is there anyway to see the names of previously linked deviced and get it to resync so those files can be deleted?

Highlighted

Super User II
Super User II

No. Once a device has been unlinked from your account, it can only be relinked from that device. There's no way to relink from the Dropbox website or a different device.

If it's already been unlinked, there's no way to delete the files without access to the device.

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Thanks Rich

[This thread is now closed by moderators due to inactivity. If you're experiencing a similar behavior or have a question, feel free to Ask for help from the Community here.]

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?