cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about apps and Dropbox integrations to make working from home easy here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Delete shared folders from hard drive

Delete shared folders from hard drive

MC12345
Explorer | Level 3

A few years ago I uninstalled Dropbox, not realising that the folders remained on my hard drive. 

I need to get rid of them to free up some space, however there are a large number of shared files belonging to former clients of mine that I'm concerned not to delete permanently. 

If I just delete the folders from my hard drive could this permanently delete their files? I have no idea who the owners are for each one. Its possible I set up the original folder and they dropped their files into it, would this mean my deleting it would remove it for them? 

3 Replies 3

Re: Delete shared folders from hard drive

Daphne
Dropboxer
Hello there @MC12345, welcome to the Community!

If you've uninstalled the desktop app already from your computer, then there is no link between the local Dropbox folder and the account online anymore.

This means that deleting the folder locally from your computer won't sync to the account online, and so won't delete the files or folder.

Just to double check, you can open up the Task Manager/Activity monitor on your computer, and make sure that you don't have any Dropbox app processes running.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any questions!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

MC12345
Explorer | Level 3

Thank you Daphne

Before I got your reply, I tried reinstalling dropbox since I'd seen that suggestion elsewhere. I've got the app installed but have not logged in. When I try to uninstall it, i get a message saying it cannot be uninstalled as it is still open, even though I've quit the app from the menu bar (looking at the activity monitor, it seems there are background processes running?). How do I fully close the app to uninstall it? 

Daphne
Dropboxer
Thanks for getting back to me here @MC12345.

If you haven't signed into the account when you reinstalled, there is still no syncing connection between the local folder and the account online, so you can delete the folders if you'd like to.

Now, for the issue you're having uninstalling the app, can you try closing those background processes that you see, related to the Dropbox app, and try uninstalling again?

Otherwise, perhaps restarting the device will do the trick.

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?