cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about apps and Dropbox integrations to make working from home easy here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deleted Account - Deleted Files

Deleted Account - Deleted Files

luckysesemi
New member | Level 2

Hi everyone,

I would really appreciate your help with the following: I recently registered on Dropbox with another email address because I needed an account for work. I saw that upon installing the app on my desktop, Dropbox started downloading all my files (i.e. I saw them in the App and on the web). I got scared (since I didn't want my entire desktop to be uploaded to Dropbox!) and stopped the synchronisation. Then I deleted my account. Now it seems that all files that had been uploaded to dropbox have been deleted from my desktop too! 

I obviously need those files back, but it seems that I am completely powerless, having deleted the account!

Any support would be greatly appreciated, thanks very much!

5 Replies 5

Re: Deleted Account - Deleted Files

Nazrie
New member | Level 2
Hey buddy, try check this link out. Hope it help you
https://help.dropbox.com/files-folders/restore-delete

Lusil
Dropboxer
Hey @luckysesemi,  just wanted to mention that if you deleted your account, the files would not be accessible from the website anymore. 

However, the Dropbox folder should have stopped syncing to the account and converted to be a simple folder. 

You can find more information about this, here

Could you try searching for some of the missing files locally?

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

luckysesemi
New member | Level 2

hi, thanks so much, unfortunately this only shows how to restore files within your account. I have deleted that account, so these options aren't available to me anymore. Any other suggestion of what I could do?

Thanks again for your help!

luckysesemi
New member | Level 2

Hi @Lusil,

thank you very much for your answer. When I deleted the account, all files that had been uploaded to Dropbox from my computer before were deleted. They are no longer in the dropbox folder or on the website (which I anyways can't access anymore). 

When I search for the files on my desktop, I cannot find them anymore. Is there any way I can get my files back?

Thanks again and best regards

Jay
Dropboxer
Hi @luckysesemi, there should still be a local folder on your machine with the files on it. 

If there isn't, it might be possible to recover the files from the local machine from the recycle bin, or using a third party recovery app or service to do so.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Poll
How do you get refocussed while working from home? Do you find any of these options keep you from getting distracted?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?