cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deleted Dropbox from Mac, my Documents, Downloads & Desktop folders disappeared

Deleted Dropbox from Mac, my Documents, Downloads & Desktop folders disappeared

Explorer | Level 3

Hello all,

I have a major problem. Basically, it seems like I've synched my main folders (Desktop, Downloads & Documents) to Dropbox and I was not aware of that. Since I am not a frequent user of Dropbox I decided to delete it from my computer as a whole. However, with that all those essential folders were gone. What is worse, now I cannot operate on my desktop and cannot even re-download Dropbox in order to fix this mess!

Please assist me on how to resolve this issue. I tried to find a solution in this forum, however, since I don't have the Dropbox app on my computer anymore none of the provided solutions seem to work.

8 Replies 8

Re: Deleted Dropbox from Mac, my Documents, Downloads & Desktop folders disappeared

Dropboxer

Hi @Mmartina, I'm sorry to hear about your troubles with this!

Just to clarify the matter, can you find the deleted folders from your computer's trash bin?

If so, please restore the folders/files from there.

Let me know how it goes and we'll take it from there!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Re: Deleted Dropbox from Mac, my Documents, Downloads & Desktop folders disappeared

Explorer | Level 3
My bin is empty. There are no files in it and that’s the problem.

Dropboxer

Thanks for getting back to me here @Mmartina!

Are you able to locate the deleted files from your Dropbox account online, with these steps?

Also, for your computers Desktop/Downloads folders, can you please navigate to these folders via your File Explorer, right click and choose properties.

From there, you should see a "Location" tab, with an option to restore default folder path. Can you try this out and let me know what you find?

If you have any trouble with this, or run into any errors, please send me a screenshot of this.

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Explorer | Level 3

Sadly, there are no files in the deleted files folder. Also, I cannot navigate the folders via File Explorer because I don't have those folders on my computer. They are gone! @Daphne 

Explorer | Level 3

I cannot open any folders such as "Desktop, Documents and Downloads" since they're synced to my Dropbox account. Please refer to the attached screenshot. It seems like those files are non-existent now, but still have shortcuts as files on my computer. Additionally, I tried to install Dropbox again on my desktop, however, as you can see the message in the attached screenshot 2 comes up. I cannot perform the actions from this message since my original Dropbox folder is permanently deleted from my computer. The only option I have is to relink my account. However, this means that first I need to relink it and I'm afraid to do that because I don't know if that would cause my computer drive, which is backed up to my online Dropbox account, to be deleted? This would mean that my data is completely unretrievable.

IMG_6243.jpeg82F861FC-10DB-4871-9AAB-C43A907A5498.JPG

Dropboxer

Thanks for those screenshots @Mmartina.

To see if there's anything our team can do to assist you with restoring those files, I've just sent a brief message to the email linked with your profile here.

Please check your inbox when you have the time and get back to me there to continue looking into this. Cheers!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Explorer | Level 3

I answered the email @Daphne. Can we solve the problem as quick as possible because I work on my computer and it is a really big problem for me!

Dropboxer

I've just got back to you there @Mmartina

I'll be just a post away if you need anything else - thanks!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?