cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Deleted Files on pc

Deleted Files on pc

KaiCaughman
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I have had dropbox for a while and mainly use it to transfer pictures and such to and from devices, However, when I updated dropbox on my computer there was an option to sync files. Not really paying attention I agreed and now my ALL of my Documents and Downloads have backed up on Dropbox. I dont have an option to remove the backed-up file but can delete the files within, however when I do that they also dele from my computer. I just want to remove this sync and delete the files from Dropbox and keep them on my pc

UPDATE. I THOUGHT I UNCHECKED THE STUPID OPTION AND IT DELETED ALMOST EVERYTHING IN MY DOCUMENTS AND DOWNLOADS FOLDERS.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

KaiCaughman
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Restored most of the deleted files from dropbox's deleted folder online. No option for that on the app. Still highly recommend an option to maybe NOT delete everything from your computer just so there a reason to fill up the Dropbox online storage forcing people to pay for the larger size. Instead maybe, just maybe, add an easily accessible option to not do that. Thanks

View solution in original post

53 Replies 53

KaiCaughman
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Restored most of the deleted files from dropbox's deleted folder online. No option for that on the app. Still highly recommend an option to maybe NOT delete everything from your computer just so there a reason to fill up the Dropbox online storage forcing people to pay for the larger size. Instead maybe, just maybe, add an easily accessible option to not do that. Thanks

DonnaMartin555
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I think I have a similar problem but I'm not sure.  Could you please contact me via email at [personal information removed as per Community Guidelines]?  I also accidentally did something(I maybe hit that sync option) that caused Dropbox to start downloading my computer files and filling all my available storage space .  If I start deleting the files from Dropbox, I'm afraid I'll be deleting files from my computer.  Would love to discuss a solution with you, as Dropbox does not appear to provide support to basic, non business clients.

Donna Martin

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for keeping us in the loop, @KaiCaughman, glad to hear that you were able to resolve your concern. 

@DonnaMartin555, you'll have to turn off the computer backup feature before moving the files back to their original locations. 

Let me know how you get on with it, cheers!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

stru
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Same thing happened to me, early July. The "My PC" folder was huge, and I immediately deleted it, as I did not want to keep all these files online. The result is I've lost a huge ammount of work, as the files were no longer stored locally on my laptop. The funny thing is Dropbox does NOT offer any notification, the only info about this is a box reading "Back Up" during the installation, which is checked by default. So believe me, it  was really not your fault for "not paying attention".

So Dropbox removes all your locally stored files and uploads them to an online folder of its own, without asking for permission. I think this new feature is an absolut shame and would definately deserve a law suit, should people like us have enough money & time. 

valousme
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution
Hi there

I just had the same problem. I didn't get both were linked and deleted some files permanently (I thought they were only uploaded files not sync so I deleted permanently). No historic info, no rewind possible bc free account...

I tried to recover my files from my computer (restor system) but unsuccessfully. Is there a way to get these files back?

stru
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

From my experiencence, no. After 3 attempts by professional technicians I was never able to recover my files, because I never actually DELETED them from  the hard drive. I lost months of work. This is a scandal. I'm wishing you the best anyway

pachecovzki
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Bro, this just happened to me, but worst! I didn't have enough space to sync, I got only 2 gb in my dropbox (basic plan) and when I deleted the dropbox folder on my computer it deleted all my work! The worst part is that it isn't on the deleted files, because dropbox was unable to sync, so I lost everything, years of work! Please, someone help me solve this!

stru
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

If you "permanently deleted" the files I'm afraid there is no way to get them back. If you just deleted them but not permanently, then you should be able to find them in your dropbox "deleted files"and restore them.  As I wrote in previous comments above, it seems that even a professional technician can not restore files that were never actually DELETED from your local drive, but instead MOVED by dropbox into an online folder. You can give it a try though, my advice is get your pc to a technician as soon as possible and see if they can restore something. They could be able to restore at least some older versions of your files. Personally after this catastrophe I stopped using dropbox, after being a user for many years. I do sign in online eventually if I have to, to keep up with work mates who are still using it, but I will never ever again download the app and give access to my pc. I'm now using google drive but only as much as necessary, and I'm doing a back up in an external disk once a week. I can't say this loud enough, those dropbox guys definitely deserve a lawsuit for exposing people to this kind of damage, just because of their aggressive marketing policy. They are very wrong to think that they can treat people with such disrespect,  intruding and stealing private data with no permission. A small box ticked by default during the installation, reading "back up", is not adequate notification & permission for moving someone's files out of their local drive, into an online space which obviously is not big enough, and with no option of restoring. The blame is 100% on dropbox and its policies. 

willtheron
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi, 

I moved all my folders from my dropbox account onto another drive by selecting it and dragging it over. 
The files in my dropbox were removed and my dropbox is now empty. 

The folders that were moved over are now empty. there are no documents and/or files in my folders. This means I have just lost a @#$$ load of work. 

Why did this happen? 

How can I recover those lost files and documents? 

PLEASE HELP!!!!????!!!

Need more support?