cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deleted Files on pc

Deleted Files on pc

KaiCaughman
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I have had dropbox for a while and mainly use it to transfer pictures and such to and from devices, However, when I updated dropbox on my computer there was an option to sync files. Not really paying attention I agreed and now my ALL of my Documents and Downloads have backed up on Dropbox. I dont have an option to remove the backed-up file but can delete the files within, however when I do that they also dele from my computer. I just want to remove this sync and delete the files from Dropbox and keep them on my pc

UPDATE. I THOUGHT I UNCHECKED THE STUPID OPTION AND IT DELETED ALMOST EVERYTHING IN MY DOCUMENTS AND DOWNLOADS FOLDERS.

53 Replies 53

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hi @willtheron, welcome to our Community! 

When you move content by dragging and dropping them out of the Dropbox folder, the app detects this as a delection.

Can you try checking into your account's deleted files page, to see what you'll find? 

Let me know!

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

willtheron
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi Lori, 

Thank you so much for the quick response. I appreciate it. 

On a quick scan, your advice worked well. I'll need to go through all the folders but it seems ok. 

Thank you very much!

soher1
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

i have bought a new laptop and has been proposed to use dropbox to move my files from old computer to the new one which i did but not only the files have been deleted from my laptop ðŸ˜± but they do not appear in drop box !!! the folders are empty : how do i retrieve my files ???? 

thank you for your help 

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hi @soher1, let's see what we can find about this! 

Have you checked both your deleted files page and your events page

Can you give it a look and let me know what you find there? 

Thank you very much!

Megan
dropbox.com/support

soher1
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution
Bonsoir Megan oui il n'y avait aucun fichier supprimé ni dans mon ordi.

alexneedshelp
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Same thing here. Empty folders in my dropbox trash, nothing in my hard drive trash. This is appalling. Where is the actual Dropbox Support?

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hi @alexneedshelp, sorry to hear about this.

Do you see any signs of your missing files or folders in your events page?

This is the place where all uploads, edits, and deletions are normally logged so it should give you a hint or two.

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

JLcrypto
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hey Guys

I'm gutted by seeing than Dropbox took the liberty to delete all my files on my Mac

I added Dropbox app as part of my work and the app started to bring all my work dropbox files on my Mac which I did NOT want and took more than 130GB of space.
So I deleted locally the file and even remove the app because I could only use the online version and have access to them without having this problem.

I deleted Dropbox app and suddenly everything on my Mac was deleted as well right away.
Fortunately I made a backup of my personal files on my online dropbox but when I try to download my file back to my Mac it says I have no space whereas I have 130 GB free and the .zip is 6.2GB.

Can someone help me? 

1) Get my file back to my Mac

2) Help make sure all the dropbox file are deleted on my disk because I still have high disk usage which was not their before

Thank you guys

Joris

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @JLcrypto, how are you today? 

It sounds as if you enabled our Computer backup option on your end, right? 

When you say you deleted the folder locally: are you referring to the "My Mac" folder? If I were you, I'd reinstall the app, in order to disable the feature. Then, you can then check in your deleted files page, to see what you'll be able to find there. 

Let me know more!

Megan
dropbox.com/support

JLcrypto
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hello Megan
Thank you for your time

I did enable computer back end but it was with the intention of backing up my file online like I do with iCloud

Not taking control over my file locally on my laptop

When I deleted the file, I only deleted the file from work that were coming from Dropbox and downloaded themselves on my laptop (about 130 GB) so I deleted them and only them, then I deleted the app DropBox. And when I deleted the app, all my files from my Mac (except my music) where deleted as well, which obviously was absolutely not the objective.

Now I managed to download my file back again but I can't access my desktop anymore nor my download. The link were deleted as well. I can not put anything back on my desktop.

Your solution will be to reinstall Dropbox, disable the computer backup feature, get back my file (if necessary) and delete the app again?
I was happy with the online version but the desktop app really messed up my computer, sorry to say that.

Thank you

Joris

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Megan Dropbox Staff
    Akerke Maulenbay Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?