cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We love to hear how every person gets the most from Dropbox, and it seems everyone has a slightly different use for it - tell us yours here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deleted Folders/Files Keep Reappearing

Deleted Folders/Files Keep Reappearing

Shilo
Explorer | Level 4

I have been using Dropbox for a few years; however, I just started having this problem (literally, today).  When I delete anything (folder with files or just files), it reappears, sometimes instantly, sometimes later (15-30 minutes).  I have researched this ad nauseum, and have done everything that has been recommended on this forum, as well as other recommendations on Google, and NOTHING has worked.  Does anybody have anything that might actually work?  

7 Replies 7

Re: Deleted Folders/Files Keep Reappearing

Lori
Dropboxer
Hi @Shilo, I hope you're doing well! 

Can you clarify if you're deleting the content using our website, or the Dropbox desktop application? 

Let me know, and we'll take it from there!

Lori
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Shilo
Explorer | Level 4

Hi Lori!  Thank you for your reply!  I have actually done it both ways, with the same result.

Thanks!

Walter
Dropboxer

Hey @Shilo, sorry to be jumping in here, but could you take a look at the version history of a sample file of the ones that are coming back to see which exact device and/or user is adding them back to your account?

If you find it, please try deleting those files from that specific device. 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Shilo
Explorer | Level 4

Hello,

I found them and deleted them on Friday, but at some point over the weekend, they re-appeared.

Any other possibilities?

Thanks!

Jay
Dropboxer
Hi @Shilo, did you check which device and user deleted the files as @Walter suggested? What do you see on the events page?

Do you have any programs or services that rely on these files to exist in order to function properly?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Shilo
Explorer | Level 4

Hello...yes, I deleted locally.  I work with numerous Excel files daily, and the ones I deleted I had already copied to another location in SharePoint (my employer prefers this), so I don't need it in my Dropbox any longer, although, personally, I prefer to work with Dropbox for active files because I always have syncing issues with SharePoint.  There are files that just need to be stored in SharePoint when I am done with them, but they no longer need to be in my Dropbox.

Thanks!

Jay
Dropboxer
Is Sharepoint accessing your Dropbox folder in some way?

Since the files are being re-created from your computer, there has to be an app or service which is doing so. As to which app this is, we cannot tell. It'll be up to you to find out by quitting all your open apps, apart from Dropbox, and then delete a file from the Dropbox folder. 

You can then start opening apps, and when the file is re-created, then you know it was due to the last app you opened.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jay Dropboxer
    Shilo Explorer | Level 4
    Walter Dropboxer
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?