cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn more about how Connie, a member of the Community, uses Dropbox here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deleted My Mac files and cannot restore them from my trash

Deleted My Mac files and cannot restore them from my trash

Ckinsi414
Explorer | Level 3

I accidentally deleted my entire My Mac from my dropbox when I meant to turn off computer back up. This has deleted all of my files from my computer also. 

In the trash I can see it but cannot find a way to restore it. 

Screen Shot 2021-02-23 at 3.44.39 PM.png

In dropbox all of my folders are empty from my local because I was full there anyways. 

Screen Shot 2021-02-23 at 3.46.59 PM.png

Can someone please help me find a way to restore this? Everything that I have looked at has not helped so far.

7 Replies 7

Re: Deleted My Mac files and cannot restore them from my trash

Daphne
Dropboxer
Hi @Ckinsi414, I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble with this!

Have you tried dragging the file out of the Trash folder, or checking for any relevant options from the right click menu, for restoring the files from the Trash folder?

If you're not sure how to do this, it could be helpful to do a quick web search for the steps depending on the version of the OS you're using.

Also, are you aware if the files has synced to Dropbox before you deleted the folder?

Let me know and we can go from there!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Ckinsi414
Explorer | Level 3

I have not found a way to do that. I have searched a lot. There are no options to restore it from that area.

Daphne
Dropboxer

You should see, if you right click the folder there @Ckinsi414, an option that's something like "put back" or "recover".

If you can't see this, can you send a screenshot of the options you can see when you right click this folder in the Trash?

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Ckinsi414
Explorer | Level 3

The issue is it will not show up in the Trash. It is only in the Trash of System Information. I contacted Apple support and they couldn't help because they said they did not how your systems work. 

Here is the trash

Screen Shot 2021-02-24 at 2.46.00 PM.png

 Here is the trash in the System Information

Screen Shot 2021-02-24 at 2.46.53 PM.png

I do not know where it is. But the trash shows it is in there based on how much GB are in there. 

Screen Shot 2021-02-24 at 2.47.50 PM.png

Daphne
Dropboxer
Can you make sure that you have the option to 'show hidden files' enabled on your computer, and let me know if you see this in the Trash folder then @Ckinsi414?

If you're familiar with this, you can use the key combination "Cmd + Shift + ." to show hidden files.

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Ckinsi414
Explorer | Level 3

That did make it show up! Thank you, but I do not have the option to put it back and it will not allow me to drag it out of the trash

Screen Shot 2021-02-24 at 4.05.22 PM.png

Daphne
Dropboxer
Could you clarify for me if you tried dragging it directly into the same location it was inside the Dropbox folder @MattRNR?

If you're not able to restore the files through these steps from Dropbox online, then we would need to restore the files locally on your computer.

Since we can now see the folder within the Trash, if you're not seeing the appropriate options to restore the folder, then I would have to suggest reaching back out to Apple to see if they can assist with restoring the folder now.

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Poll
Are you starting new work habits this year?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?