cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deleted all pictures on my computer.

Deleted all pictures on my computer.

New member | Level 2

I wanted to uninstall dropbox. With mac, i have to put it in the trash. I put it in the trash and clicked empty trash. It deleted every picture on my computer. I'm a photographer. I need those back. How? I literally installed this program to get my film camera pictures from the printer company I use.

1 Reply 1

Re: Deleted all pictures on my computer.

Super User

Here are some things that you can try:

1. Check dropbox.com/home to see if the files are still in your account. If they are, then you can reinstall Dropbox and they'll be automatically re-downloaded to your computer. After the program has finished syncing, you can move them out of your Dropbox folder and then uninstall Dropbox again.

2. If they're not currently in your Dropbox account, you can instead check dropbox.com/deleted_files and restore them to your account. Note that this is time sensitive (I think you have 180 days, if I remember correctly?).

3. If the files are truly gone from both your trash bin and your Dropbox account, you can try recovering them with a free file undeletion program. I personally use Recuva, but I don't think it's available on Macs. Note that this is also time sensitive; the more you use your computer, the fewer files will be recoverable from the hard drive.

Aside from that, I would recommend keeping a second (or even third) copy of your best photos on an external hard drive or other form of backup so that if something unexpected happens, you'll have another way to recover them.

Let me know if any of that works.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?