cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our users can answer all of your questions on files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Deleted empty folder, continues to be restored

Explorer | Level 3

I've tried everything I can think of and everything listed here..

I have one empty folder that always comes back every day.  I've disconnected devices, deleted caches, i've added files and folders inside of the folder, I've played with sharing and permissions, I've tried to delete it on the web, and multiple devices at the same time.

No matter what the next day the deleted folder is restored.   It lives in the ROOT directory and no matter what i cannot get rid of it.  If I rename it, it will come back.  if i copy it and delete the copy, the copy can be removed, but the original folder will come back.

It's impossible to get rid of.

19 Replies 19
Highlighted

Re: Deleted empty folder, continues to be restored

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hey @jboothua, thanks for reaching out to us. 

As a first step, could you send me a screenshot (without personal info) of what the folder looks like, as well as what you see when you hover over the Dropbox icon that should be next to your computer's clock? 

Looking forward to hearing back from you, cheers!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

do you want to know what the folder looks like in windows, or on dropbox?

it looks like an empty folder...  

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

When I hover over dropbox icon it says dropbox 99.4.501 Up to Date

Highlighted

Super User II
Super User II

When a file or folder returns after being deleted, it's usually because Dropbox was unable to delete it on another device.

You delete a file on Computer A. Dropbox is notified of this and syncs the deletion to the cloud. Dropbox on Computer B then syncs the deletion as well, but the file is unable to be deleted (it's in use or otherwise locked for some reason). Dropbox on Computer B then sees that the file is still there, syncs it back to the cloud, and Computer A syncs it back down again.

@jboothua wrote:

i've added files and folders inside of the folder ...

After you added a file to the folder and then deleted the folder, when the folder returned, was the file still in it? If so, look at the version history for the file and you should see which device is causing this behavior.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

thank you for the help.  i've tried adding files to it.  the files do not come back but the folder always does.

it's possible maybe I've shared the folder in the past or something like that??  Maybe there is a way to force a "un-share".

As far as the sycning on my machines theory that you mentioned, that was my first theory also.  However, I've deleted the folder on all my devices, removed devices from being sync'd, deleted dropbox cache folders.  I've done everything I can think of to make sure it knows that folder is supposed to be deleted.

Maybe it's shared with another USER in the past and that is what is going on?

Regardless, I'm extremely frustrated with it. It's such a stupid thing to waste time on, and it's so minor but i will 100% stop using dropbox because of this, so I hope to get a solution soon!

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

is there anyway to force the syncing to stop?  or any way around this?

I've deleted folders a million times and never had a problem before..  So there had to be something silly about this folder, that I need to reset...  Maybe the fact it was shared in the past?  I'm not sure, but that's all I can think of.

Or maybe because it's in the ROOT folder that has something to do with it, but I seem to be able to delete other folders.

I guess my question would be, is there a way to RESET a folder to default, so it doesn't think it should be synced or shared??

Thanks!

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

well it does say i'm the only owner?.

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thanks for keeping us in the loop, @jboothua

Just to have a better visual of this, could you send us a screenshot (without any personal info) of the folder? 

If you can't attach an image, you can send it to us as a shared link

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3
Polls
Do you know how to organize your files and folders?
We have created a guide on folder best practice, so you can get organized now check it out here.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?