cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We want to hear from you. What do you use Dropbox for?
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Deleted file notifications but I did not delete any

Explorer | Level 3

My macbook no longer had space on its hard drive. So, I enabled smart sync for macbook. Then, I went into selective sync so that the folder would not appear on my hard drive. After that, I started getting notifications that hundreds of files were being deleted. However, when I go to deleted files in my Dropbox account, there is nothing there.  I paused syncing because I am scared that important files are being accidently deleted.

Can someone explain to me what is happening? Thank you.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Deleted file notifications but I did not delete any

Super User II
Super User II

Did yuo rename or move any large folders? That will often trigger the deletion notifications because to Dropbox, a folder that was once there is now gone, and a new folder has appeared.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3
Highlighted

Super User II
Super User II

Did yuo rename or move any large folders? That will often trigger the deletion notifications because to Dropbox, a folder that was once there is now gone, and a new folder has appeared.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

Hi Rich,

Thank you for your response.

No, I actually didn't. I wanted to store all my files on dropbox to clear space on my macbook.

Do you think that the files being deleted are from my dropbox on my Macbook's hard drive, but not the files from my online dropbox? I hope that is the case because I really hope I didn't lose any files.

Sheryl

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

Oh, wait. I just re-read your response. When you say move a file, you meant move a file from my Macbook hard drive to my online Dropbox. Right? Is that what you mean?

If so, yes, I moved all my files over to dropbox.

Polls
Do you know how to organize your files and folders?
<b>We have created a guide on folder best practice, so you can get organized now <a href="https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Business-Tips-tricks/Folder-structure-best-practice/m-p/428456#M39"><u>check it out here</u></a>.</b>

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?