cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deleted file show up in Events but not in deleted files folder.

Deleted file show up in Events but not in deleted files folder.

Explorer | Level 3

Hello all,

Total neophyte here.  I was a Plus user when I deleted some files I now need to get back if possible.  They were deleted on 9/15/20, literally 30 days ago.  They are showing up in Events but not in the deleted files folder and never have shown up there.  How can I recover the deleted files from the Events section?  Or, how can I get them to show up in deleted files so I can recover them?

Thank you in advance for the help!

13 Replies 13

Re: Deleted file show up in Events but not in deleted files folder.

Dropboxer

Hi @marydom, thanks for posting on the Community!

Were these files in a shared folder, or a private folder? Does it specifically show that they were deleted in the events page?

If so, you should be able to recover them by clicking the blue link and then the Restore button on the top right.

If you're not seeing this option, please let me know!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Explorer | Level 3

Jay,

Thank you for the help.  The file I'm looking for was a private one, not a shared one.  It is showing up on the Events page as deleted however there is no Restore button when I click on the link.  And, I can't figure out how to get back to the events page again to take a screenshot for you. Please help more.

Thank you,

Mary

Dropboxer

You can access the events page from here. What happens when you click the deletion event, and what does it say exactly?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Explorer | Level 3

When I click on the deleted file called "paking list" it opens up a new window that looks like this:  There is nothing clickable here nor is there any option to recover file.  I was a Plus user when this took place.  Is there anyway to get quicker/better help with this?  Frustrated by the lack of a customer support option.Screen Shot 2020-10-21 at 1.03.59 PM.png

Dropboxer

As it's now over 30 days days ago, then it wouldn't be possible to recover the files there, unfortunately.

Your support options are visible when you login to your account and visit this page.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Explorer | Level 3

It was not 30 days ago when I first started this process.  I have visited that page many times and there is no direct access to hekp other than through this long tedious slow process.  I'm disappointed in the lack of customer service options honestly.  

My original question was and still is, why is a deleted file showing up in events but not in deleted files.  It didn't show up in deleted files even before the 30 days was up.

Dropboxer

I completely understand your frustrations with this, @marydom, we'll try and help with this as much as we can!

Just to check one last thing with you, was there another event related to this file? A move is seen as a deletion and addition in the events page.

This might explain why the file wasn't showing in the deleted files page either.

Could you try doing a quick search in your account online for the file name, to see if you get any search results there?

If not, let me know and we can investigate further.

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Explorer | Level 3

We deleted several things on the 15th.  Searching for the file called "packing list" yields no results even though I can see it in the Events section.  I was a Plus user when this took place and I thought I had extended recovery options.  Very frustrating. 

Dropboxer

Hey @marydom, I've sent you a ticket so that we can look into it a bit more in-depth. 

When you have the chance, check your inbox and we'll go from there. 

Thanks!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Polls
Are you starting new work habits this year?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?