cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deleted files and account

Deleted files and account

Explorer | Level 3

Hey guys

So the thing is when I deleted DropBox account - all files in DropBox folder were erazed from MY PC!! I had multiple files in there and I want them back. Maybe someone can help me?

8 Replies 8

Re: Deleted files and account

Dropboxer

Hi @Serhii2, thanks for messaging the Community!

Generally, if you delete a Dropbox account, nothing would happen to the files in the local Dropbox folder. If the files weren't there, were you on a paid plan and using Smart Sync, having the files online-only?

Unfortunately, if an account has been deleted, then it wouldn't be possible to recover that account or the files within from the site.

Keep me posted with any updates.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Explorer | Level 3

Files were located locally

I was on trial paid plan

File were located locally and I still have them with "ALO" status but all files weight is 0 (so they are deleted)

Files were there before I deleted account

Explorer | Level 3

I don't know about smart sync or what it was but files were uploading to dropbox cloud storage when I move them into DropBox folder

Dropboxer

Could you clarify what you mean by 'ALO' status?

Do you know if you had enabled the automatic computer backup feature in the Dropbox desktop application?

If the missing files weren’t syncing to your account, then it wouldn’t be possible to recover them from the Dropbox site if the account was deleted.

However, it might be possible to recover the files from the local machine from the recycle bin, or using a third party app or service to do so.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Explorer | Level 3

By ALO attribute I mean something like this:

Alo.jpg

I don't know what was enabled for DropBox. Configurations were standart. Files were uploading to the DropBox cloud. I think function you asked about was working

Files weren't moved to the recycle bin. And files weren't some simple .png images or something like that. I will not be able to restore them with some application

Dropboxer

As the Dropbox account has been deleted completely, then it isn't possible to recover any files from the site, since the files in the account online would also be deleted.

As to what happened with the local Dropbox folder, I couldn't say, since deleting or unlinking a Dropbox account wouldn't delete the files in the local folder.

The only possibility is if you were a team admin and removed a team member, and remotely wiped their Dropbox folder, and this would delete the entire folder.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Explorer | Level 3

Well it's sad but thank you fro update

What I did was installed DropBox app (for synchronization), configured absolutely nothing, files synchronized, I deleted DropBox account and application from my PC, files are gone

Dropboxer

I'm sorry I can't be more helpful on this matter.

If you need any further information, please feel free to let me know.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?