cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We want to make our Community work for you and we need your help. Take our short survey!
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Deleted files but it still says I have no space

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

This is what solved it for me.  It was quite simple, actually...in the end.  

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Hi lads, if its not your shared folders thats filling up your allowance its probably your "links" , click the  links folder and delete them.  I had absolutely nothing in any other folder and dropbox was still showing up as full, deleting photos in the links photo solved it. Hope this helps!!

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2
Same problem on 1/25/2017. They appear to do it on purpose..
Highlighted

Experienced Collaborator | Level 12
Kim, if you belong to a shared-folder IT will fill up your storage, and when you delete files IT will continue to sync more files to your hard drive.
Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Mark 'super user' you are quite something. As well as criticising people who are seeking help, you seem hell bent on telling us how wonderful DB is. Well guess what, there's a lot of us who disagree...to put it mildly.

I'd be (marginally) interested to know what DB pay you for your singularly unhelpful pontification, probably not much, you strike me as someone who would come cheap anyway.

Please see my comments below and I hope they give other people as much pleasure as it has given me:

Like many others I've suffered from the problem of being told that my dropbox is full. Having deleted over two thirds of my stuff, then permanently deleted it, cleared the cache, emptied the recycle bin, cancelled my links, deleted my shared folders and all the other suggestions in nine pages of customer support (including some utterly patronising comments from 'super users' (that's you by the way Mark!) which were critical of ill-informed users rather than helpful) and all to no avail, I have exported all my files to Google Drive (easy to do) and uninstalled DB.

Luckily I noticed that I was still logged into DB, so I am making use of the opportunity to vent my spleen before signing out from this ghastly ordeal...for good.

I was sufficiently keen to sort the space issue that I spent an hour on (Google!) hangouts to my techie son in Japan who couldn't sort it either, his comment: 'Dropbox is a pain, too expensive and not user friendly. Google Drive is easier and £2per month for 100GB'.

Had Dropbox developed a system whereby I could have cleared out some space, filled that, cleared out again and so on until I was sure that I needed more space, I would happily have paid the extra for more.

Good luck to anyone in the same situation, I hope you find out how to do what has wasted a day of my life, if not, I assure you that the step I've taken feels great...

SO GOODBYE AND GOOD RIDDANCE DROPBOX!

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Awesome! I was struggling with this!

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

I am also having the same problem and its driving me crazy. I have deleted virtually everything in my drop box basic account but still says I have no space available and I need to upgrade. I dont want to upgrade!!

Its almost as if they are forcing you to upgrade. I have tried (I think, everything) and at the point where Im just gonna delete my account and start again.

Highlighted

Collaborator | Level 9

"Leave" any shared-folders until your account stops filling  up.  See, when you belong to a shared account its files will be added to your hard drive AND to your account until either your hard drive or your account is "full". 

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Ive spent the better part of a day dealing with this issue.

I deleted many large files. Then I permently deledted them. And I cleared the cache. I logged out and shut down DropBox and my Mac and MacBook Pro. I deleted Dropbox from my iphone and ipad. I restarted DropBox on the Mac.

STILL NO SPACE FROM ALL THE DELTETED FILES!

Why?

When I delete a large file from my Mac or PC, the space those files occupied is now made available.

Why should I pay for DropBox PRO when I can not permently delete files to open up space?

This is Bad Business. I am so frustrated.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Need more support?