cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know all about tools for creatives that work seamlessly with Dropbox, like Adobe? Well, check it out right here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deleted files from Dropbox were also deleted from my PC

Deleted files from Dropbox were also deleted from my PC

andretic
Explorer | Level 3

Dear all,

I would like to ask for an advice how to proceed further.

I've been using dropbox for over a year now. I only had files there that I wanted to keep on the cloud. Yesterday, I wanted to download dropbox app onto my slack, and for that I had to sign in to it. So I signed up in Dropbox – web version. When setting up my account, I must have left the default ticks to sync Dropbox with my Desktop, Documents and Downloads folders. Later I realized that I should have not left this default setting. As expected my free storage limit of 2 GB was exceeded as it basicaly tried to pull all of my computers hard drive Mac xxxx into dropbox. Thats not what I wanted so I deleted Mac xxx in my Dropbox web account. It turned out that these files were deleted from my computer as well (they were removed from Desktop, Documents and Downloads). In place of ALL my files I have a link to 'My files in dropbox' - that does not work. Pleaaase someone rescue me. 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Deleted files from Dropbox were also deleted from my PC

Здравко
Super Collaborator | Level 20

@andretic wrote:
... When setting up my account, I must have left the default ticks to sync Dropbox with my Desktop, Documents and Downloads folders. ... so I deleted Mac xxx in my Dropbox web account. It turned out that these files were deleted from my computer ...

Hi @andretic,

Not just "deleted" from your computer! Dropbox is a sync service, that's why everything within there gets in sync (deletion is also syncing). Restore everything deleted from here as soon as possible! Next a week stay in Dropbox "trash" the things are going gone forever. Next just take a look here, how you can turn your backup off. 😉

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Здравко

@andretic wrote:
... When setting up my account, I must have left the default ticks to sync Dropbox with my Desktop, Documents and Downloads folders. ... so I deleted Mac xxx in my Dropbox web account. It turned out that these files were deleted from my computer ...

Hi @andretic,

Not just "deleted" from your computer! Dropbox is a sync service, that's why everything within there gets in sync (deletion is also syncing). Restore everything deleted from here as soon as possible! Next a week stay in Dropbox "trash" the things are going gone forever. Next just take a look here, how you can turn your backup off. 😉

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

andretic
Explorer | Level 3

Thank you, thats exactly what happened. It backed all my files into dropbox and created a link on my computer to access those files.Since I had deleted them from dropbox, the link was not working and the files were temporarily gone. I have 'restored' the files on dropbox, and dragged them back to my computer.

Two curious things though:

1) the memory in my computer never changed

2) I had two large files with photos, the files and all its sub files and names/ordering were recovered. But sadly the images in them seems to have gone missing 😞 I tried recovering them again in dropbox but the files are shown empty there too. Not sure what to do, any ideas? 

Thank you again! 

Здравко

@andretic wrote:

...Since I had deleted them from dropbox, the link was not working and the files were temporarily gone. I have 'restored' the files on dropbox, and dragged them back to my computer.

... But sadly the images in them seems to have gone missing 😞 I tried recovering them again in dropbox but the files are shown empty there too. Not sure what to do, any ideas? 

@andretic, Seems, you haven't followed all steps exactly! Who told you that the files have to be "dragged"?! 🤷 Mistake! Seems you have used Smart Sync and that's the reason of fault. Try to download the files by hands from Dropbox site.

Let's hope  this will help.

andretic
Explorer | Level 3

Yes, I believe I was using smart sync cause I have that icon beside the files. Sorry, I don't know what you mean by downloading the files "by hand" - can yo further explain? Thank you!!!!

Здравко

@andretic wrote:

... Sorry, I don't know what you mean by downloading the files "by hand" - can yo further explain? ...

My native language isn't English, so probably I'm not the person who can best explain the English words meaning. Anyway... while we talk for technical terminology, I can't see how can be explained download! 🤷 It's just... download. Download from your account storage. "By hand" means not to rely on Dropbox application sync, but to rely on the download (as just mentioned). 🙂 That's it.

As I'm not language expert, hope this gives idea, at least.

andretic
Explorer | Level 3

Thank you. No worries about the english, I really appreciate you trying to help me. It really doesn't matter the way I am downloading the info from dropbox; dragging or clicking "download." It's not going to change the fact that the images inside the folders are not showing up on dropbox. So whatever way I download I don't get the images 😞 

Poll
Do you work or study in the creative industry? If so, which area?
If you use Adobe, don't forget to check out our latest integrations update here.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

andretic Explorer | Level 3
    Здравко Super Collaborator | Level 20
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?