cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn more about how Connie, a member of the Community, uses Dropbox here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deleted files from computer that were never on dropbox

Deleted files from computer that were never on dropbox

pancake
New member | Level 2

My dad downloaded dropbox today and accepted the default option of accepting dropbox to access your desktop, downloads and documents folders. I later uninstalled and installed back dropbox. On the user folder of the pc three files named dropbox appeared, the current one, and two others named DROPBOX (Old) and DROPBOX ((OLD (1)), I deleted them thinking that they contained only the few files that were stored in dropbox. And since anyway those files were already existing in the dropbox file that i didnt delete. So when i deleted the ones saying old a deletetion process started saying 20,000 items are being deleted and stuff on the desktop started dissapearing. I stoped the process. But not before loosing 16 GB of material (the storage of the pc went from 196 GB to 180 GB). Dropbox recent events does not show the deletition, neither the material went to the recycle bin. Is there a way to recover my material? And why on earth would dropbox create such a file that has complete and total access on literally all the material on your device and can delete them without telling you that it is literally erasing your hard-drive clean?

4 Replies 4

Re: Deleted files from computer that were never on dropbox

pancake
New member | Level 2

Please note that none of the dropbox folders were affected, rather material from the desktop and documents were deleted such as picture folders and documents that were never uploaded on dropbox.

Clo5
New member | Level 2

i think its the same to me, i had several big projects on my desktop and then, after deleting some dropbox files, it just delete every single thing on my computer. Even the very recent one. I don't know how to get it back, im so mad against this sync and the arborescence (my computer>dropbox>desktop) so everything, gone wrong... 

i lost everything, please someone now how i can get it back ? 

Clo5
New member | Level 2

It was files that are not sync on my online dropbox, cause i didnt pay for the extra space. 
thanks to the arborescence, these non-droped files are still missing,..

Word documents in particular, non-shared, just doc from my desktop (which wasnt local but wtf, on my dropbox.. this is making no sense.)

i saw several messages like ours, posted EACH DAY on the forum so what are you waiting for dropbox ?!?

Clo5
New member | Level 2

Hellooo @dropbox ? I lost 10 years of data, can you answer ? 

Poll
Which Dropbox integrations are you using while working from home?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?