cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about how Alex on the Community team used Dropbox in college here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deleted files - how can I recover files I accidentally deleted when reinstalling the desktop app?

Deleted files - how can I recover files I accidentally deleted when reinstalling the desktop app?

tgbasc3321
Explorer | Level 3

I accidentally deleted all my files while trying to delete and reinstall the dropbox app

9 Replies 9

Re: Deleted files

Daphne
Dropboxer
Hello @tgbasc3321, I'd be happy to help out!

Have you tried these steps to try restoring the files through the Dropbox website?

If you can't locate the files there, what does your events page show in your recent activity?

Looking forward to hearing back from you!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

tgbasc3321
Explorer | Level 3

Hi @daphne,

Thanks for responding.

I tried all those steps, nothing worked. I'm so new to Dropbox, I don't even know where Events page is, is that the same as the Home page?

Daphne
Dropboxer
Thanks for getting back to me here @tgbasc3321!

Apologies, it seems the link didn't apply properly in my previous message. You can find the events page here.

Since you had the desktop app installed on your computer, do you have a local copy of your files on your computer in a "Dropbox (Old)" folder by any chance?

Also, is it possible that you may have signed into a different account if you're not seeing any of the files in the "deleted files" page?

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

tgbasc3321
Explorer | Level 3

Hi @Daphne,

Thank you for trying to help me out. It has been a tough couple of days for me especially when i was just started using Dropbox. Appreciate your help though.

I found the events page, but no record whatsoever of all my files being deleted. I see individual files/folders that I deleted that I restored, but they are but a few.

Unfortunately, i could not find a local copy of my files in my laptop named "Dropbox (Old)" folder.

As for signing into a different account that's why I'm not seeing any of the files in the deleted files page, that's not possible, I don't think. I'm so new to Dropbox, I wouldn't know how to do that.

Part of the frustration is, when signing up to Dropbox, I made the mistake of linking my whole laptop to Dropbox, and since I only have Dropbox basic, it immediately prompted me "I don't have enough space, upgrade now" I was looking for a way to not link my computer and in the panic, I saw a Dropbox logo and probably accidentally tried to empty it. and just like that emptied my laptop of my files.

Daphne
Dropboxer
I see, thanks for the additional info @tgbasc3321!

From what you mentioned, it seems that you enabled the computer backup feature to sync other folders on your computer.

In this case, can you make sure that you have the option to "Show hidden files" on your computer, and check in "Dropbox (Old)" for the backup folder ("My PC/Mac") to see if the files are there?

Otherwise, have you checked in your computer's Recycling bin for the files if you deleted this folder?

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

tgbasc3321
Explorer | Level 3

Hi @Daphne ,

thanks much for your response.

1) I'm guessing that's what happened, when I enabled the computer backup feature to sync other folders on my computer.

2) So I "unhid" my files and did not see a "Dropbox (Old)" for the backup folder to see if the files were there.

3) Strangely, when I tried to delete the files that time, the whole Recycling bin emptied out as well.

I was in the market for an online storage service, this was my first attempt at trying to find one with Dropbox and it was an epic fail. Still hopeful it can be rectified.

Daphne
Dropboxer
With the option to show hidden files, if you do a search in your File Explorer, are you able to locate any of the files? How about in the Recycling bin now?

Also, just to make sure we're on the same page, did you delete the Dropbox folder too when you uninstalled the app on your computer?

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

tgbasc3321
Explorer | Level 3

Hi @Daphne 

Thanks for your response.

to answer your questions

1) With the option to show hidden files, if you do a search in your File Explorer, are you able to locate any of the files? none at all.

2) How about in the Recycling bin now? nothing there too

3) Also, just to make sure we're on the same page, did you delete the Dropbox folder too when you uninstalled the app on your computer? yes i did.

Daphne
Dropboxer
To see if there is anything we can do to assist with this, I've just sent you a message to the email linked with your profile here @tgbasc3321.

When you have the time, please check your inbox and get back to me there - thanks!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?