cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about how Alex on the Community team used Dropbox in college here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deleted files in Dropbox and it deleted my files on Desktop

Deleted files in Dropbox and it deleted my files on Desktop

Oavila
Explorer | Level 4

Hi all,

I hope someone can help me. I got a pop-up from Dropbox to sync files, I didn't pay enough attention at first and initiated syncing. Then I noticed that Dropbox was syncing my work PC, which I didn't want to do, so I stopped the sync and deleted the files in Dropbox.  I didn't realize it would delete the files in my PC as well. I checked the trash, there was nothing.  I checked Deleted files in Dropbox, the folders are all empty. I can see the files in folder history.  How can I restore them? 

I appreciate all help I can get as I lost all my photos for the last 12 years....

Thank you!

Olga

18 Replies 18

Re: Deleted files in Dropbox and it deleted my files on Desktop

Walter
Dropboxer
Hey @Oavila; welcome to our Community!

Was this pop-up message you got about syncing or was it maybe referring to our computer backup feature? 

Can you see if you can restore your missing files through your events page?

Keep me posted, Olga!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Oavila
Explorer | Level 4

Hi Walter,

thank you very much for your response.  I can't quite remember the pop-up, but I was not syncing my PC/desktop to my Dropbox before. I am very annoyed by this feature because I don't want to sync it and can't figure out how to get it out of my Dropbox.

I could see the deleted files in the Events section, however there is no obvious option to restore anything.

Oavila_0-1612999648581.png

Walter
Dropboxer
Thanks for the quick response, Olga!

Assuming that the desktop app is still installed on your computer, can you try disabling the computer backup feature and let me know if it helped improve matters? 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Oavila
Explorer | Level 4

I can' see Backups tab or Settings tub...

Edited by moderatorEdited by moderator

Daphne
Dropboxer
Hey @Oavila

You would need to go through the desktop app preferences to do this, which you can access by clicking the Dropbox icon in your system tray, next to the clock icon.

Then you can follow the rest of the steps outlined here, to disable the backup.

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Oavila
Explorer | Level 4

Hi @Daphne ,

I turned off the back-up as suggested, but now I can't see the deleted folder anywhere. Not even the older version of folder is showing the deleted files. The only place I can see the deleted files is in Events. But when I click on the highlighted link to the folders that I want to restore, it takes me to the older version of the Desktop and the folders are not there.

I am so frustrated right now.

Thank you,

Olga

epilobio
Explorer | Level 3

anch'io ho avuto il tuo stesso problema e mi ha cancellato tutte le cartelle di lavoro.

non sono riuscito a recuperarli neanche con l'aiuto di un professionista

epilobio
Explorer | Level 3

con la versione a pagamento si possono ripristinare le cancellazioni dei file persi

Rich
Super User II

@epilobio wrote:

con la versione a pagamento si possono ripristinare le cancellazioni dei file persi

Puoi farlo anche con la versione gratuita, fino a 30 giorni. Gli account Basic (gratuito), Plus e Family possono recuperare file fino a 30 giorni. Account professionali e aziendali fino a 180 giorni. Supponendo che i file siano stati completamente sincronizzati con Dropbox prima di essere eliminati.

You can with the free version as well, up to 30 days. Basic (free), Plus and Family accounts can recover files up to 30 days. Professional and Business accounts up to 180 days. Assuming the files were fully synced to Dropbox before they were deleted.

Poll
Do you work or study in the creative industry? If so, which area?
If you use Adobe, don't forget to check out our latest integrations update here.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?