cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Deleted folders keep reappearing

Deleted folders keep reappearing

Adam L.4
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I'm hoping someone can help with this problem. I have been using Dropbox for a few years across a number of devices (2 desktop Macs, a laptop, an iPhone and an iPad). This last week, when I try to delete a folder it reappears a moment later. If I move it into another folder, the same thing happens. I have checked and all my other devices are switched off or not trying to sync while I am doing this. Any advice on how to stop it?

Thanks!

83 Replies 83

FoxL
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I had this problem for 6 months. I had 2 Dropbox logins for the same business and I logged out as one and logged in on the other via the web version, not the desktop one. I discovered that my laptop hadn't synced for 6 months on that email login and once I left it to sort itself out, the problem finally rectified. Try to login in on every device you have via the web version and allow them all time to sync completely, then delete the files if they turn up anywhere. Sorry, not a very techo reply I know but that's what finally worked for me!

AmosMoses
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Have you tried TSP's suggestion above:

"For others – this seems to work:

- Go to Dropbox Bad Files Check

- Manually rename all reported files on the Dropbox website

- Check again if all errors have been corrected

This is a tedious process when you have thousands of bad files. So prepare for hours of manual renaming :("

This is what I had to undertake in full.  It works online, not locally.  Then I was able to delete folder and get rid of them. 

Good luck with sorting this. 

Bensie
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Renaming the folder and then deleting it worked for me. I did this on the web/online.

harten74
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I had this issue show up today and what ultimately solved it for me was unselecting the problematic folder under Preferences/Sync/Selective Sync and then once that was done on all machines, I logged into the browser version of Dropbox and deleted the offending folder. Folder no longer tries to reappear!

[This thread is now closed. If you have a similar or new question, you could post it in the Find Answers section here. Jane]
Need more support?