cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn more about how Connie, a member of the Community, uses Dropbox here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deleting Dropbox account has deleted synchronized folder files.

Deleting Dropbox account has deleted synchronized folder files.

WorryWarrior
New member | Level 2

Good morning, Dropbox community.
I have downloaded Dropbox Windows app just this morning. Unfortunately, due to the lack of experience I unintentionally synchronized my Dropbox folder with Desktop folder. An hour later certain circumstances forced me to delete that Dropbox account. The expected result was having Dropbox folder deleted or cleared. However, despite my expectations, vast part of Desktop files (genuine files and not their copies) was deleted with that account. Is there any way to recover now missing data?

3 Replies 3

Re: Deleting Dropbox account has deleted synchronized folder files.

Lusil
Dropboxer
Hi there @WorryWarrior, let's see what we can do here. 

Since the Dropbox folder should continue to exist on your hard drive even after you delete your account, could you clarify if you removed that as well?

Have you tried searching for the missing files via your File Explorer?

Looking forward to hearing back from you!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

WorryWarrior
New member | Level 2

Thank you for looking into my issue. Unintended synchronization led to constant reaching 2 GB space limit. Before deleting my account I have tried to stop automatic synchronization and all my actions left me with only some of files in hard drive Dropbox folder. I have attempted to restore missing (what I presumed to be deleted) files via specialized software and had no success. Some missing files still can be found as shortcuts with search but, once opened,  изображение_2021-01-27_204613.pngit says that original item was deleted. I have not deleted it deliberately, it must have happened when I tried to delete my account. Is there a way to restore missing files with/without support help?

Lusil
Dropboxer
Generally, since the account is deleted, I'm afraid there's not much our team can do to assist. 

However, you can try reaching out to them via this link, using an incognito window (without signing in), to have a better look into it.

Make sure to enter the email address that the deleted account was associated with under the information requested. 

Once you do that, let me know the ID (eg. #1234567) so that I can pass your comments from here along. 

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Poll
Which Dropbox integrations are you using while working from home?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?