cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deleting a File - BUT NOT FROM OTHER LOCATIONS - ONLY FROM DROPBOX

Deleting a File - BUT NOT FROM OTHER LOCATIONS - ONLY FROM DROPBOX

Explorer | Level 4

When I try to eliminate a file DropBox asks me if I want to eliminate the file from other locations. Now it doesn't give me a choice of saying NO. And I NEVER want it to eliminate stuff from other locations. I want things eliminated from DROPBOX ONLY. WHY would anyone build a system that is so intrusive? And HOW can I restrict it to eliminating things from DROPBOX ONLY?

6 Replies 6

Re: Deleting a File - BUT NOT FROM OTHER LOCATIONS - ONLY FROM DROPBOX

Helpful | Level 5
As far as I can tell they make everything as confusing as possible that maximizes the odds people go over quota and pay extra

Helpful | Level 5
Just kidding? They just want to make it really scary to delete stuff on Dropbox to reduce unintentional deletions. Impact on quota is incidental. totally incidental.

Explorer | Level 4

That may be, but it doesn't answer the question.  IF it says Delete from other locations, does that also mean delete from my external and internal drives seperate from DropBox?

Dropboxer

To directly cut to the chase, no, deleting a file from your Dropbox folder won't be affecting any files on your computer's hard drive or external drive for that matter. 

This message is referring to the Dropbox platforms, be it the desktop app, the mobile one or our website. 

I hope this clarifies matters and let us know if you have any more questions; we're only a post away! 

Thanks a bunch, Tom. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Explorer | Level 4

Thanks Much, that does answer the question.  Appreciate your time.

Might be a good idea if you worded that notice better so it doesn't seem so threatening to an operator's other systems. 

Helpful | Level 5
Careful! It looks to me like it will delete files. I noticed this comment elsewhere on the site, And it’s made by dropbox staff : ”Dropbox does not delete your files, without any user interaction on them. The latter part of that sentence is paramount. If you, or someone else with access to those files, deletes them, then Dropbox does what it's supposed to do, and syncs the deletion to all devices and users” -https:confused face:/www.dropboxforum.com/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/330248

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?